​Get permits and licenses

​All dogs, cats and ferrets four months and older residing in Charlotte, Mint Hill, Pineville and the unincorporated areas of Mecklenburg County must be licensed annually.

​Outdoor events require a permit from the Charlotte Department of Transportation for use of public property and/or closure of all or portions of one or more public streets. 

​If an Alcohol Permit is needed for a private event such as a wedding reception, please call the Alcohol Beverage Commission in Raleigh, NC at 919-779-0700 or visit this link.

​Citizens may petition for a temporary street/block closing for community functions such as block parties or neighborhood festivals.

The Privilege License Tax has been repealed in North Carolina, effective July 1, 2015. As a result, no privilege license renewal applications will be mailed.

​A certificate of authorization must be obtained from the Charlotte Department of Transportation prior to building a fence or wall. 

​Contractors and service providers wanting to temporarily occupy a traffic lane, planting strip or sidewalk within the public right of way (ROW) must obtain a Right of Way Use Permit from CDOT.