Wilmore, located to the southwest of downtown Charlotte, was developed as a streetcar suburb in the early years of the 20th Century. Wilmore mirrors the single family bungalows and wide curvilinear streets and sidewalks of Dilworth, and shared the streetcar line from the center of town with this sister neighborhood.
The early history of the area that became the Wilmore area included its long use as farmland. It also contained parts of Blandville, one of several African-American villages that lay just outside the town of Charlotte. The Rudisill Gold Mine, one of the most productive of the mines that fueled the country’s first gold rush in and around Charlotte.
In 1906, developer F. C. Abbot and the Southern Realty Company purchased the land that would become Wilmore from several owners. Abbot combined the names of two of those former owners, the Wilson and Moore families, to create the name “Wilmore for the new planned suburb just south of the rapidly growing town of Charlotte.
Wilmore contains a wide range of styles and materials in its buildings, with the majority exhibiting the low overhanging roofs, full-width front porches and craftsman details typical of the Bungalow style. Although it is primarily a single family neighborhood, Wilmore is also home to numerous duplexes, apartment buildings and churches, as well as commercial and industrial buildings.