Since Sunday, November 27, the CMPD's Major Crash Investigation Unit has responded to collisions resulting in a total of 7 fatalities.
The CMPD is a partner of the City of Charlotte's Vision Zero Action Plan which aims to eliminate roadway deaths and injuries. The CMPD provides enhanced and targeted enforcement in High Injury Networks, identified as areas with high levels of collisions and traffic fatalities.
The top three causes of fatalities identified by CMPD's Transportation Division are speed, distracted driving, and driving while impaired. There are simple steps you can take to make sure you're driving safely:
- Don't drive distracted. Avoid technological devices while operating a vehicle.
- Ensure all occupants are properly restrained in weight-appropriate restraint devices, day or night.
- Never drive while impaired. Have a plan and take advantage of the multiple ride-sharing services available.
- Obey the speed limit. The faster you drive, the longer it takes to stop your vehicle.
- Check traffic conditions before starting your travel at drivenc.gov.
The CMPD wants everyone to have a safe holiday season and no family should have to feel the pain of losing a loved one due to an avoidable traffic fatality.
If you witness reckless driving you're asked not to engage but call 911. Tips can also be reported anonymously to Charlotte Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.