Land Development

Inspections & CO for Residential Projects

As construction progresses on Single-family residence construction projects that are being built as part of a residential subdivision, the assigned City Land Development Construction Inspector, Erosion Control Specialist, and Urban Forestry Specialist from Engineering & Property Management will periodically visit the project site to make sure that all requirements of the approved site plan and City regulations are met.

Prior to final approval, a City site inspector will inspect the home to ensure:

  • Drainage plan is followed
  • Sidewalk is complete and acceptable
  • Required Trees are properly installed per the Tree Ordinance  
  • Home Builders Guidelines for Inspections (as found in the Pre-Construction Information Packet) - Comprehensive Checklist for Engineering CO hold release for Single-Family Residential projects  
  • Elevation Certificates – Flood prone Single-family Residences will be required to complete this elevation certificate prior to CO 
  • Sidewalk Agreement for Certificate of Occupancy  - When sidewalk is not yet constructed to City standards, but a homebuilder needs to obtain the Certificate of Occupancy for a single-family home, this Agreement can be submitted to LD Inspection staff to demonstrate the builder’s intent to repair the sidewalk in a timely manner.

City Engineering inspects the construction of subdivision infrastructure including grading, streets, storm drainage, curb and gutter, accessible ramps, culverts and retaining walls, and more.  Below are some useful resources for Subdivision projects relating to inspections:  

  • Two items included in the Pre-Construction Information Packet:
    • Subdivision Inspection Guidelines - Step by Step guide for site inspection of subdivisions
    • Steps to Approval for Paving Subdivision Streets Checklist
  • Street Acceptance - A page with steps and details on the Street Acceptance Process

Mecklenburg County Code Enforcement Inspectors perform inspections on all building projects.  Projects can have separate Building, Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing, City Fire, and Backflow Inspections.  Visit the Inspections page at Mecklenburg County Code Enforcement for more information regarding Residential Code inspections.

When construction is completed and satisfactory, City Engineering, Commercial Zoning, and Urban Forestry will release their "holds" that have been placed on the Certificate of Occupancy (CO) for the project.  Check the Mecklenburg County Code Enforcement website, to determine what holds have been placed on your project and schedule their inspection.

To request an Engineering hold release, submit a Subdivision Single Family City Engineering Hold Release Request (on-line form for Engineering and Urban Forestry holds).   For information about release of Zoning Hold on a single-family residence, contact City of Charlotte Neighborhood and Business Services Zoning Code Enforcement by dialing 311 (or 704-336-7600).​