West Trade Street/Hawthorne Lane Road Closures
Hawthorne Lane Bridge Closure
July 24, 2017 to Early 2020
**UPDATE: Bridge construction is currently paused. The bridge is currently out. Work is expected to resume in late September/October 2019 with the opening of the bridge in April 2020. For additional information on this component of the project, please call CATS Customer Service at 704-336-RIDE(7433).
- Hawthorne Lane, between Bay Street and Hawthorne Bridge Court, will remain closed until all bridge work is complete. Currently, work is set to resume in fall 2019.
- Motorists should utilize East 7th Street and Central Avenue as the detour. This road will be closed to all through traffic.
Click to view a rendering of the future Hawthorne Bridge and check out our Frequently Asked Questions handout.
Historic West End Segment (Block-by-Block)
Between French St. and Rozzelles Ferry / W. 5th St.
- Single-lane closures in each direction.
Between Rozzelles Ferry and I-77 S Connector Rd.
- W. Trade St., between Rozzelles Ferry Rd and Frazier Ave., will remain one-way traffic in the eastbound direction.
- W. Trade St., between Frazier Ave. and I-77 N Connector Rd., will maintain two-way traffic.
Between I-77 S Connector Rd and I-77 South Loop .
- This segment is currently closed to traffic due to work in the area.
Uptown Segment (Block-by-Block)
Between Irwin / Johnson & Wales Way and Graham St
- Between Irwin / Johnson & Wales Way and Cedar maintaining single-lane closures between Irwin / Johnson & Wales Way up to Clarkson.
Between Pine and College Streets
Intersection of Poplar Street
- Intersection will experience a full closure from Monday, September 9 through Monday, October 21for the installation of traffic. Traffi wil be detoured.
Intersection of Church Street
Between Graham and Tryon Streets
- Open to local traffic only through December 20.
Intersection of Tryon Street
- Single-lane closures at and around the intersection will occur through Monday, September 23.
From College Street to Brevard Street
- Will reopen to traffic (one-lane in each direction) on Friday, August 23.