Construction is underway for the CityLYNX Gold Line Phase 2 streetcar project. Road closures and project updates will be shared with affected businesses and all NotifyMe subscribers. Listed are narratives and maps of all current road closures. Scroll to bottom of page for an interactive road closure map. Road closure information is separated by neighborhood including Hawthorne Lane (Elizabeth), West End and Uptown.
Hawthorne Lane Bridge Closure
July 24, 2017 to March 31, 2019
Hawthorne Lane, between Bay Street and Hawthorne Bridge Court, will close on Monday, July 24, 2017 at 9 a.m. until approximately Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 6 p.m. This closure is necessary for preparation work, bridge demolition and bridge reconstruction as part of CityLYNX Gold Line Phase 2 construction.
Additionally, Northbound Hawthorne Lane between East 7th Street and Bay Street, will close during this same timeframe to accommodate the bridge closure.
Motorists should utilize East 7th Street and Central Avenue as the detour. This road will be closed to all through traffic.
Click to view a rendering of the future Hawthorne Bridge and check out our Frequently Asked Questions handout.
Overnight work on Hawthorne Lane/Hawthorne Lane Bridge
October 28 - November 10
Work will occur nightly from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. to set bridge girders for the Hawthorne Lane Bridge. Nightly lane closures on Independence Boulevard (US 74) will occur to accomodate the work and traffic will be detoured.
Neighbors may experience an increase in construction activity sounds as this overnight work occurs.
W. Trade Street (Between Irwin and Graham Streets)
Monday, October 29 at 9 a.m. to Monday, November 19 at 6 a.m.
Several changes will occur to the traffic control plan to accomodate work on W Trade Street between Irwin and Graham Streets.
- The south side of Cedar / Trade intersection will be closed
- Eastbound W. Trade St. between Cedar and Graham streets will be closed
- Westbound W. Trade St. between Cedar and the Norfolk Southern R/R bridge will become two way traffic for local access ONLY to access the Gateway Village Parking Deck.
- W. Trade St. between the Double Tree Driveway and Cedar will be closed
UPTOWN & HISTORIC WEST END
W. Trade Street, between Rozzelles Ferry Road/West 5th Street to College Street
Monday, October 8 - Monday, December 10
W. Trade Street, from Rozzelles Ferry Road/W 5th Street in the Historic West End to College Street in Center-City, will move into a new traffic configuration from Monday, October 8 until Monday, November 26 *ALL BUSINESSES AND RESIDENCES WILL HAVE ACCESS.
West Trade Street will experience changes segment by segment:
- Local traffic will regain access I-77 on W. Trade St. from Rozzelles Ferry Road/W 5th Street
- Irwin Avenue/Johnson & Wales Way to Cedar Street: 1 westbound lane will open and both eastbound lanes will close
- Cedar Street to the Norfolk Southern Bridge: 1 lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction
- Norfolk Southern Bridge to Graham Street: the westbound lanes will remain closed, 1 eastbound lane will remain open
- Graham Street to Tryon Street: Work will begin in this area and single-lane closures will occur
- Tryon Street to College Street: 1 lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction
Intersection closures along West Trade Street will be upcoming and announced soon. Traffic will be detoured according to the following map:
Weather and unforeseen circumstances occasionally prevent work from being completed as scheduled, and make it unsafe to reopen lanes or streets when planned. When this occurs, City traffic engineers work directly with other City staff and contractors to resolve the situation as quickly as possible and reduce impacts to the traveling public.
Pedestrians walking near work zone areas should be alert, cautious and allow extra traveling time. It is advised they cross at signalized intersections, use pedestrian walk signals where available and abide by detour signage.
Motorists traveling through work zone areas should be alert and extra cautious. Drivers should get in the correct lane well in advance and constantly be on the lookout for vehicles merging into adjacent travel lanes as they approach a work zone. Drivers should double their following distance.
Follow the CityLYNX Gold Line Phase 2 project on Twitter @CityLYNXupdatesand on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/CityLYNXGoldLineConstructionUpdates.