JOIN OUR TEAM!
Light Rail Operators
What Light Rail Operators Do:
- Operate light rail vehicles in a safe, courteous, and reliable manner throughout the service area within a daily assigned time schedule
- Perform pre/post trip vehicle inspections
- Manually operate track switches and other wayside equipment.
- Stop at designated stations to load and unload passengers
- Assist in the boarding of passengers using wheelchairs or other mobility aids
- Notify dispatch of deviations, overload, accidents, passenger incidents, medical/behavioral problems, or mechanical/electrical trouble
- Advise passengers of rules and regulations when necessary
- Complete and submit written reports concerning passengers and all accidents
STEPS TO BECOME A TRAIN OPERATOR
1. Submit Your Application
2. Obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class B w/ P endorsement license
- Candidates must obtain a CDL Class B with P endorsement, allowing you to operate vehicles that have air brakes and carry more than 15 passengers before their start date.
3. Interview, Testing, and Job Offer
- If your skills meet our qualifications and you pass the pre-employment assessment, we will call you to schedule an interview (lasting approx. one hour). Following a successful interview, you may receive a job offer contingent on passing the below tests, done at no cost to you:
- Department of Transportation (DOT) physical exam
- Drug screening
- Human performance evaluation (HPE) to determine if you are physically capable of performing the job (lifting, sitting in a confined space, etc.)
- Criminal background check
- Employment verification
- Note: You must successfully pass all required tests and pre-employment activities before advancing to the next step.
4. Orientation and Training
- Once you have the CDL Class B w/ P endorsement license, you will be scheduled for orientation and six (6) weeks of paid classroom training with CATS. During training, you will take written assessments on Switches and Signals, Door Operations, and Vehicle Bypasses. Operators must pass all training exams with 100% accuracy to remain in the training program. You will be given two opportunities to pass the assessments. *Failure to pass assessments with 100% accuracy within the designated training period will result in a release of employment.
CATS is an Equal Opportunity Employer