A Tool For Excellence
Charlotte Water created the City of Charlotte’s first water/wastewater industry apprenticeship program that will increase jobs, training and opportunities for individuals with multiple barriers to employment. Our apprenticeship program is custom-designed to help individuals achieve the training and experience needed for a successful career at Charlotte Water.
Career & Education Path
An apprenticeship is a career and educational path that partners classroom and on-the-job training. Apprentices experience wage progression as their skills increase. Upon completion, apprentices earn a national industry-recognized credential from the Department of Labor.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- At least 18 years old.
- High school graduate or have a GED.
- Physically able to perform the work.
How To Apply
All candidates must apply through the online application process. No e-mailed, mailed, or faxed resumes will be accepted in lieu of the online application process.
Apprentices are hired employees with full benefits and resources. Apprenticeships assure a continued pipeline of qualified workers that are skilled and on pace with industry advances.
Apprentice Utility Technician
- Ability to learn and follow instructions as well as safely and effectively use power tools and small equipment.
- Consistently respond appropriately and professionally to questions or concerns with other employees and city customers.
- Adhere to safety standards and wear personal protective equipment.
- Work outside 90% of the time.
Benefits That Build A Future
- Free classroom training.
- Paid training and certifications.
- Eligible for all city benefits.
- Enhanced promotional opportunities throughout Charlotte Water.
- Recognized and/or approved by the North Carolina Department of Labor & Industry; US Department of Labor; North Carolina Community College System, North Carolina Department of Education and North Carolina Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation.
- Veterans benefits available for qualified participants.