Charlotte Water is accepting art installation requests on a case-by-case basis for manhole covers, in coordination with Mecklenburg County Parks and Recreation.
Once you have reviewed the guidelines below and submitted your application, we will reach out to you with your permit information and additional details.
Contact: Veronica Horvath at email@example.com for more details and the application.
Guidelines for Manhole Art Installation
To install art at a manhole location, the below practices must be followed. Any deviation from these practices may result in the immediate removal of any artistic installation without notice.
- No artwork on the metal frame, metal lid, or top surface of the manhole structure
- No opening of the manhole lid
- No standing or sitting on the manhole
- Charlotte Water will not maintain the vegetation at the site, but the artist can remove excess vegetation and do periodic trimming around the sewer manhole
- The artist will be responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the artwork
- No open flames or smoking is permitted due to possible hazardous and/or flammable gases within the manhole
- Charlotte Water allows latex and acrylic paint only
- Proposed Artwork to be family-friendly. Inappropriate or offensive art will not be allowed
- Charlotte Water is not responsible for damage to artwork
- Charlotte Water can remove the artwork at any time
- Charlotte Water will not provide notifications regarding potential damage or removal of artwork due to emergency repairs to Charlotte Water infrastructure
- Guidelines for this program are subject to change at Charlotte Water's discretion at any time