Development & Connections

Private Water Distribution System Permitting​

NCDEQ delegated permitting authority to CLT Water in 2010 to permit private water distribution systems.  Private water distribution systems consist of 2-inch or larger private water lines serving more than one structure, requiring a private permit.

The assigned duties, responsibilities, and requirements of CLT Water as they relate to these systems are as follows:

  • Review and Approval of Water Distribution Plans, Applications, and associated specifications, if necessary
  • Issuing Permits for the Approved Plans
  • Issuance of the "Authorization to Construct" notice for Approved and Permitted Plans
  • Collecting the Engineer and Owner Certifications
  • Issuing "Final Approval" notice for the project, which authorizes activation

Submittal Items

  • Signed/Sealed plans from Developer's Engineer
  • Private Water Main Extension Application
  • Engineer's Report
  • Approved Capacity Assurance Letter
  • Fire Hydrant Flow Test Report
  • $200 Permit Fee

Plan Submittals

Plans shall be submitted to CLT Water at

NCDEQ will continue issuing permits for public water systems such as subdivisions or business parks receiving their water supply from a source other than CLT Water.  Such sources of supply include, but are not limited to well or surface water or another utility provider, such as Utilities, Inc. or Aqua Carolina.  In addition, typical large diameter water main extensions, treatment facilities and major public distribution systems modifications, such as booster stations and storage tanks will require permits through NCDEQ.

NCDEQ Requirements:

  • Applies to 15 or more sub-metered residential or commercial units OR SUB-METERED COMMERCIAL UNITS SERVING 25 OR MORE PEOPLE (E.G., EMPLOYEES), creating a "public system"
    • Private water distribution plans shall be permitted by NCDEQ (instead of CLT Water) and the private system will be regulated
    • NCDEQ will not regulate private water distribution system if WR designation is obtained by NCUC

NCUC Requirements:

  • Applies to 15 or more leased, sub-metered residential only units (WR or WRN)
      • WR: Apartments, Condo's and Townhomes
      • WRN:  Single dwelling
    • Requires the customer to submit an application to NCUC including additional documents and fees
      • NCUC reviews and approves application and issues "Certificate of Authority" in which they establish water and sewer rates
    • WR or WRN designations are only exempt if water and sewer fees will be paid as a part of the rent
      • An application still required to be submitted to NCUC so they may issue a "Certificate of Authority"