Fire Hydrant Program for Temporary Service
The fire hydrant permit program provides service for customers in Mecklenburg County for authorized use of public fire hydrants. According to the Charlotte City Code, only two organizations, the Charlotte Fire Department (CFD) and CLTWater, are authorized to use hydrants without a special permit. All others must apply for access to public hydrants. For more information please call 311 or 704-336-7600 during regular business hours or email us.
Two types of permits are available for customers to obtain water for non-drinking use from a public fire hydrant safely and legally:
Specific Hydrant Permit
Charlotte Water (CLTWater) will provide temporary water service by means of a public fire hydrant to customers who qualify for this service at locations within the service area.
- Individuals or companies must apply for access to a hydrant for non-potable water use.
- Applicants must provide the hydrant location. The hydrant’s location and condition may affect availability and authorization of service.
- Additionally, CLTWater reserves the right to deny service depending on water use restrictions, weather conditions, or system capabilities.
Steps to Requesting Service
- Call 311 or 704-336-7600 and inquire about Temporary Hydrant Connection Service;
- Speak with CLTWater Account Services Specialist to set-up account at a specific hydrant;
- Pay deposit in person at 5100 Brookshire Blvd. Charlotte, NC;
- Meet CLTWater Hydrant Technician at a specified hydrant for assembly set-up.
Temporary Commercial Fire Hydrant Connection:
- The connection size available is 2-1/2-inch NST Fire Hose
- Reoccurring charges include water use per Ccf and applicable fixed and availability fees.
- The relocation of the service will terminate the current account and require a new account set up at the new location. Fees applicable to account creation will be rendered for the new account.
- All temporary hydrant connections will be metered;
- Customers will be charged for the volume they use and applicable fees in a manner similar to commercial customers;
- All new temporary hydrant connections will require a security deposit to be paid in person at 5100 Brookshire Blvd. before they receive service;
- Customers will continue to be billed for temporary hydrant connection service until they request that services are terminated;
- If a customer is 36 days past due on their bill, their temporary hydrant connection service will be terminated and a new temporary hydrant connection service will not be set-up until payment is received.
Rates, Fees, and Charges
After account creation, the customer will need to pay a refundable deposit of $100 at 5100 Brookshire Blvd. Charlotte, NC prior to the service being set-up. A charge of $635 on the first bill will cover the costs associated with CLTWater equipment and employees. For the duration of service, the customer will be charged in a manner similar to other CLTWater customers. This includes the prevailing commercial water rate (per Ccf), applicable fixed and availability fees, and applicable sewer rates.
If a customer desires to relocate a service, the currently active service will be terminated and the customer will have a new account set up at the new location. Fees applicable to account creation will be rendered for the new account.
Applicable late payment fees will be applied. If a customer is 36 days past due on their bill, their temporary hydrant connection service will be terminated and a new temporary hydrant connection service will not be set-up until payment is received.
Vehicle Mounted Permit
This permit allows for businesses to use water from public fire hydrants at various locations daily.
To use a hydrant for non-potable bulk water activities, individuals or companies will need:
- Have a permanently mounted air-gap separation approved by CLTWater.
- An approved meter permanently mounted to each vehicle.
- A permit decal on all registered equipment.
All equipment must:
- Maintain approved backflow protection at all times.
Contractors must submit a usage report by the 5th of each month and use only authorized hydrants.