Residential Parking Permit Program
The City of Charlotte has several parking permit districts which only allow parking onstreet at specified hours with a vehicle parking decal. The areas currently participating in the program are First Ward, Third Ward, Fourth Ward, Perrin Place, Hastings Drive, Bucknell Avenue, Wellesley Avenue, and Glendale Road in Myers Park.
If you live in one of these areas and want to qualify for a decal, you must complete a Residential Parking Permit Application in person at the Park It office. Persons who qualify for the decals, and who employ persons providing emergency or essential services at their property are eligible to obtain decals for their vehicles.
To apply, provide a copy of your motor vehicle registration card (address on vehicle registration card must be in permit zone) and one of the following:
A valid motor vehicle operator's license for the applicant listing an address covered by the permit program.
- A current billing receipt for rent payment, Duke Energy, BellSouth or any other utility bill for the applicant showing an address covered by the permit program.
- A deed or other legal document of the applicant providing ownership or lease of property in the permit area - subletters can provide a letter from the legal resident indicating this relationship.
- A paycheck stub of the applicant verifying employment within the permit area or letter from the employer.
Temporary Parking Permits
Persons who legally reside on a street included in the program and who have guests residing or visiting on a temporary basis in their homes are eligible to obtain a temporary parking permit for a small fee to use on their guests' vehicles. Some areas have a two hour limit for guests. Please check the signs or contact our office for more information.
The annual cost of decals is $30 per vehicle. Checks should be made payable to the "City of Charlotte".
- First Ward and Third Ward event parking permits are free to residents who apply.
- Temporary permits are $3 each per vehicle per day.
- Lost decals can be replaced for $30.
- Stolen or destroyed decals can be replaced for a $5 charge when a police report is provided.
All decals shall be attached to the driver side rear windshield with the adhesive on the decal. No taping of decals is allowed. Temporary permits should be hung from the rearview mirror. Decals issued to motorcycles shall be displayed on the rear fender.
Abuse of the above regulations may be grounds for decal revocation by the City of Charlotte.