Right of Way Use Permits - Overview

Contractors and service providers wanting to temporarily (more than five minutes and less than 30 days) occupy a traffic lane, planting strip or sidewalk within the public right of way (ROW) must obtain a Right of Way Use Permit from CDOT. Each request to occupy the ROW is considered on a case-by-case basis to ensure that there is no adverse impact to public safety. Additionally, all requests must comply with CDOT's  Work Area Traffic Control Handbook (WATCH)

​Permits can be issued for these situations:

Lane Closure - closing one or more lanes of a street.

Sidewalk Closure - closing a sidewalk. Suitable provisions for pedestrians must be made.

Street Crossing - installing a utility across a street by closing successive lanes.

Street Closure - closing the entire street usually requires preparing a detour plan and advance notice to the Police and Fire Departments.

​Typically, CDOT's staff will review, approve and Fax the permit the same day, if the request is received before 2 pm and all information is supplied. Street closure requests take additional time for coordination, generally 2-3 days.​

Currently, there is no fee charged for the issuance of a Right of Way Use Permit.

Some Examples include:

  • Moving Vans
  • Sign/Banner placement
  • Sidewalk construction/replacement*
  • Tree trimming/landscaping
  • Driveway construction
  • Access to manholes in the street

* This item will also require a Street Cut Permit from the Street Maintenance Department if any pavement or sidewalk will be removed.

​Lane closures will not be allowed during certain times of the day due to traffic congestion. In the Central Business District (CBD), these hours are between 7 a.m.-9 a.m., 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and 4 p.m.-6 p.m. Outside the CBD, these hours are between 7 a.m.-9 a.m. and 4 p.m.-6:30 p.m.

Right of Way Use Permit Application Requirements

A letter of request should be emailed to It must be submitted at least 24 hours in advance and contain the following information:

Contact information (name, address, phone and FAX number, email address, etc.) for the applicant and a full description of the work. Dates for the work to be performed. Type of work to be performed. Street address where the work will be performed or location between streets if the site is large. Specify which traffic control diagrams from the Work Area Traffic Control Handbook (WATCH) will be used.

The ROW Use Permit, if granted, will be returned by email to the requestor and copies must be displayed on the dashboard of all vehicles working in the permit area.

View a printable ROW Permit Program brochure here.



Contact Information

Right of Way Section Manager
David Smith  704-336-4626

Submittal requirements & ROW Use Permits 
Eric Weidemann 704-432-1562