Right-of-Way Management

Charlotte continues to grow rapidly as the hub of the metropolitan region, and with that growth comes the need for greater use of the City-maintained public street system and associated right-of-way (ROW). The Right-of-Way Management Section is responsible for the planning, coordination, approval and permitting of work within the right-of-way of City-maintained streets. Examples of short-term impacts to city right-of-way that require a R/W Use Permit include:

  • Moving Vans / Trucks
  • Construction dumpsters
  • Crane setup / dismantlement
  • Sign / Banner placement
  • Sidewalk construction / closures
  • Tree trimming / landscaping
  • Driveway construction
  • Access to manholes in the street

Visit the Right of Way Usepage and the linked ROW Documents for more information.

​Section Links

Contact Information

Interim Right-of-Way Section Manager

David Smith

email 704.336.4626


Encroachments, Abandonment & Lease Coordinator

Casey Mashburn

email 704.336.8348


Special Events, Parades & Emergency Operations

Joe Yanicak

email 704.336.5531


Right-of-Way Use Permits (Less than 30 Days) 

Eric Weidemann

Utility Right-of-Way Permitting 

Linda Poissant

Special Events Impacting Streets

The Section is also responsible for assisting in the review, approval and coordination of parades and festivals within City maintained street right-of-way. Visit the Special Events Impacting Streetspage for more information and links to other processes, including the application for Special Events, Parades and Festivals.

Utility ROW Management

One of the largest areas of work within Right-of-Way Management is permitting utility companies use of City-maintained right-of-way. Utility companies provide services to the residents and businesses of Charlotte, including power, telephone, gas, water and sewer, television and internet services. The Utility Right-of-Way Program helps ensure that citizens continue to receive quality service from these utility companies while protecting the public and the City's infrastructure. Visit the Utility ROW Management page for information geared towards utilities and those seeking utility permits.

ROW Encroachment Agreements

Anyone wanting to construct or install items within the public right-of-way must obtain approval from CDOT for City-maintained streets or NCDOT for State-maintained streets. Each request to encroach into the City-maintained right-of-way is considered on a case-by-case basis to ensure that there is no adverse impact to public safety or future roadway construction needs. Visit the ​Right-of-Way Encroachment Agreementspage for more information and link to the Encroachment Agreement application.