Each year, a wide range of surface water quality monitoring data is collected from streams and lakes throughout the City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.
- Almost 15,000 water samples are collected per year and over 20 different parameters are routinely screened
- Automated samplers at 35 locations measure five parameters per hour, 24 hours a day. This equals approximately 1.5 million measurements a year
- Fish communities are assessed at five locations
- Macroinvertebrate communities are assessed at 34 locations
To learn about techniques used to monitor local streams and lakes, please see the following videos:
- Overview of Surface Water Quality Monitoring Techniques
- Monitoring Surface Water Quality with "Bugs" and Fish
- Monitoring Lakes
This webpage is organized into four interest areas related to Surface Water Quality Monitoring. Please click on any of the following links for more information about these topics.