Established in the early 1990's, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Storm Water Services is a joint stormwater utility that includes the City of Charlotte, the surrounding towns of Davidson, Cornelius, Huntersville, Matthews, Mint Hill and Pineville, and the unincorporated areas of Mecklenburg County.
What We Do
Storm Water Services works year-round to manage the runoff from rainfall, reduce flooding, and protect the water quality of local streams and lakes.
- Repair and replace aging storm drainage infrastructure
- Restore severely eroded streams and floodplains that hold excess water during heavy rain
- Respond to residents who call 3-1-1 to report drainage and flooding problems
- Monitor pollutant levels and enforce ordinances to protect local streams and lakes
- Map floodplains and manage floodplain development
- Educate residents about flood safety and pollution prevention
How We're Organized
Staff includes both City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County employees. Staff coordinates closely to provide comprehensive stormwater services and ensure service to residents is seamless.
- County Storm Water Services is part of the Water & Land Division of the Mecklenburg County Land Use & Environmental Services Agency. The County is responsible for named streams (such as Little Sugar Creek, Briar Creek, and McDowell Creek) draining more than one square mile and the regulated floodplain throughout the entire county.
- City Storm Water Services is a Division within the City of Charlotte Engineering & Property Management Department. The City is responsible for smaller streams and manmade drainage systems draining less than one square mile.
- The Towns of Davidson, Cornelius, Huntersville, Matthews, Mint Hill and Pineville are responsible for smaller streams and manmade drainage systems draining less than one square mile within each jurisdiction.
Improving and Protecting Water Quality
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Storm Water Services performs a variety of activities to protect and improve surface water quality. Please see our water quality webpages for more information.