​Requests for Service

Our goal is to provide a storm drainage system that is safe, clean and cost-effective. We help property owners who are experiencing stormwater runoff problems from publicly-maintained streets. The City of Charlotte, the surrounding towns, and Mecklenburg County work in unison to manage their stormwater programs.

To report a stormwater drainage problem, call 3-1-1 (704-336-7600) or go to the Report A Problem page to complete an online form. A staff member will contact you, investigate the problem and determine if the request qualifies for service.

Examples of requests that may qualify for service:

  • Failing stormwater infrastructure within the right-of-way of a publicly-maintained street or near a house, commercial building, driveway or publicly-maintained sidewalk.
  • Stormwater infrastructure includes pipes, storm drains and other structures that collect and move stormwater to our local streams. Visible holes or active soil settlement are typical indicators of infrastructure failure.
  • Flooding of publicly-maintained streets, living space, crawl space or basement, furnace, air conditioner, driveway, or the interior of an accessory structure such as a garage.
  • A significant blockage or sediment buildup in a pipe, drainage ditch or stream.
  • Erosion that is compromising (or may compromise) the structural integrity of a house, commercial building, publicly-maintained street or infrastructure within the right-of-way, or the structural integrity of an accessory structure such as a garage.
    Severe streambank erosion along a major stream.

Common requests that DO NOT qualify for service:

  • Stormwater problems that do not receive runoff from a publicly-maintained street
  • Yard flooding​
  • Flooding of sheds smaller than 150 square feet
  • Flooding in FEMA regulated floodplain
  • Wetlands or issues related to groundwater
  • Drainage conditions caused by grading or landscaping
  • Roof, gutter or downspout drainage problems
  • Standing water in a drainage ditch
  • Drainage conditions within NCDOT right-of-way (please call 980-523-0000)
  • Mosquito complaints (please contact the Mecklenburg County Mosquito Control Program)

Additional Information​​

Call 3-1-1, 704-336-7600, or go to the Report A Problem page to complete an online form. Call 9-1-1 if the flooding is an immediate danger.