As our area continues to grow and the population increases, we need to increase our capacity for transporting wastewater. The Upper McAlpine Creek Sanitary Sewer Project is intended to help Charlotte Water meet the increasing wastewater needs of our growing communities. This Project represents Charlotte Water's continued implementation of new pipes and upsizing existing pipes to increase our wastewater system's capacity.
The purpose of the Upper McAlpine Creek Sanitary Sewer Project is to increase the capacity of the existing gravity sewer system that currently provides wastewater service for the McAlpine Creek and Clear Creek Basins. The existing gravity sewer system in the project area includes wastewater pipes that range from 8-inch to 15-inch in diameter size. This project will install a new pipe parallel to the existing gravity sewer system. The project area extends along a tributary of McAlpine Creek from Lawyers Road to just south of Albemarle Road.
What We Have Done
Our project team performed surveying, field studies, and smoke testing throughout 2019 and 2020.
- Surveying: Survey crews located existing above-ground features, determined existing ground elevations, and mapped out existing property boundaries and easements.
- Smoke Testing: Crews blew a non-toxic smoke into wastewater pipes to identify potential pipe cracks (where the smoke escapes). During smoke testing, our Project Team identified some cracks in the wastewater pipes, which will need to be repaired. We will be reaching out to individual Property Owners about specific repairs that may impact their properties.
- Geotechnical Study: Subcontractors conducted subsurface investigations to determine the location of existing utilities as well as below-grade soil and rock conditions along the pipe alignment.
- CCTV Study: A testing company placed a camera into the existing gravity sewer to record the conditions inside the pipe. The pipe was accessed through the existing manholes that are along the sewer.
What To Expect
The Project is currently on track and construction will begin in March 2021 and completed in early 2023.
Summer 2019 – 2020:
- Surveying, smoke testing, CCTV study, and the geotechnical study was conducted.
- Field review of lower McAlpine Sewer will be performed in winter 2019.
Contacts will be made to all properties that require an easement throughout 2020.
- Construction will begin in early 2021. Construction schedules are subject to change, due to weather and other conditions.