Charlotte Water (CLTWater) has upcoming drinking water and wastewater projects in the Central Business District (CBD), also known as; Uptown, First Ward, Second Ward, Third Ward, and Fourth Ward.
- Take our drinking water quality survey to help improve project results
- Charlotte Water is repairing and replacing drinking water pipe valves under the streets. Expect to see crews working in the street, closing lanes as needed.
- Water Service
- Most of the repairs should not affect drinking water service.
- Staff will notify affected customers of planned water outages 72-hours in advance.
- Any unplanned water outages are considered emergencies and will be repaired as soon as possible.
- Construction may cause temporary cloudy, discolored water or lower than usual pressure. If you experience this, please run cold water for up to 15 minutes. If water doesn't clear, please call 311 and say or select 'water emergency' for assistance.
- Detours, Lane Closures, and Street Parking
- Lanes will not be impacted during 'rush hour' traffic (6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.).
- Many valves are located in the streets and will require temporary lane closures. CLTWater works to minimize traffic disruption.
- Access to properties will be maintained.
- Large lane closures will be posted on this webpage, Nextdoor, and Twitter.
- CDOT permitted road closures are posted here.
- Street parking may be restricted in the immediate area of a construction zone.
- Fire Alarms
- When working on drinking water valves, there is a chance that it may set off fire alarms (that monitor water flow).
- CLTWater is working with the Charlotte Fire Department to ensure proper fire protection during this important work.
- The project includes restoration of affected sidewalks and roadways
- Crews may work at night or on weekends.
- Photobook of water and wastewater construction terms.
- Video: What to expect during construction.
CLTWater inspects wastewater pipes to prevent our community's wastewater from reaching creeks. Crews will temporarily close lanes to access manholes. Wastewater projects inside the CBD will be posted on this page.