FAQs and Testimonials
MYEP Provides the following Industry Experiences:
- Architecture & Construction
- Business Management
- Health Science
- Arts & Communication
- Human Services
- Information Technology
Parent Facts and Questions (FAQ's)
Question: What is the Mayor's Youth Employment Program MYEP)?
- Answer: The Mayor's Youth Employment Program (MYEP), is this regions oldest and largest youth employment program. It connects Charlotte's youth between the ages of 16 and 18 with career exploration opportunities and paid work experience for five weeks during July and August
Question: How are students eligible?
- Answer: Youth interested in the MYEP must be 16 on or before April 15 of the participating year; Be enrolled as a current student in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools or reside in the City of Charlotte; attend a Job & Career Readiness Training; Have a current photo ID and social security number; Complete an online application and interview; Follow instructions to successfully pass a drug and background screening
Question: How do youth apply?
- Answer: Youth interested in the MYEP may speak with a Career Development Coordinator (CDC) at their school regarding participating. Non-CMS youth may contact 704-336-5577 for information
Question: Does my application guarantee acceptance?
- Answer: No. MYEP applicants are not guaranteed an internship. Applicants who are not accepted have access to a MYEP Career/Job Fair and career or work-readiness resources
Question: How does the MYEP benefit my student?
- Answer: The MYEP experience allows interns to explore their interests and career options; develop workplace, social and leadership skills; and build their résumé—all while getting paid
Question: What will my student learn during the internship?
- Answer: Based upon availability, MYEP interns are engaged with local Host Employers in 21-century industries that help to provide economic opportunities throughout the Charlotte community. Interns learn time management and social networking skills; interns develop career goals and connect to the world of work
Question: Will the youth be paid for the internship?
- Answer: Yes, all MYEP interns are provided a stipend for participating in the program. All stipends dispersed at the Host Employers discretion, though the rate of pay is at least $9/hour
Question: When does my youth start their summer Internship?
- Answer: July 6 - August 7 unless otherwise specified by the students Host Employer
Question: Does the City offer Transportation assistance for program youth
- Answer: Yes. The City offers two weeks of transit passes for youth to use to access transportation to and from their internship
Question: Where can I get more information on MYEP?
“I have truly enjoyed my last five weeks in MYEP because I have completely changed my work habits, obtained new skills, and understandings." -Maya Victoria Martin
"I've learned so much about myself through this experience - my hidden abilities, struggles, aspirations for the future. It was gratifying to see all my hard work culminate into a presentation I am proud of.” -Veronica Cifuentes