CHARLOTTE CAREER DISCOVERY DAY
October 17, 2020
Join us for this year's Charlotte Career Discovery Day (CCDD), where more than 100 local businesses and universities will share hands-on experiences with 2,000+ students in a highly engaging, interactive event.
Wondering what this event will entail? Check out the video below.
"It's an opportunity for… community partners to show off what they have and what they can do for our community."
- Brian Schultz, Chief Academic Officer, Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools
"Youth are so important to our future. That's not just a cliché because the reality is our future workforce and our future entrepreneur-force will depend on these young people, so we have to invest in them today."
- Dr. Patrick Graham, President/CEO CharlotteWorks
" We also want to connect businesses to our youth and our schools so they understand it's about creating partnerships and opportunities – especially upward mobility partnerships and opportunities – for our youth."
- Dawn Hill, Youth Programs Manager, City of Charlotte
Why should your business attend CCDD?
Inspire youth and help shape the future workforce!
CCDD is a collaboration between the City of Charlotte and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS), with the help of several community stakeholders. More than 2,000 students will visit interactive "industry zones" and explore different career paths.
The more businesses that participate, the more young people can learn about their potential career options. Become a vendor to inspire students and share your line of work!
"The event has been phenomenal. As a sponsor, we would not hesitate to sponsor again. It was well-organized, it was catered to the interest of the students. They were engaged the entire time."
- Fernando Little, Carolinas HealthCare Systems Vice President
" We've seen amazing students, and they're asking a lot of questions about how to learn to program computers, and we're showing them free Microsoft resources that can help them do that. They're also asking a lot about what does it take to get into a career in information technology or computer science."
- Reggie Isaac, Director of Microsoft Charlotte Campus
"I am absolutely blown away. Enthusiasm with these youth is through the roof. I'm really excited that the kids are excited because this is for them. We're doing this for them since they are going to take our workforce to the next level."
- Erika Shorty, Charlotte Works Youth Business Services
The business that we're in, in energy, we are desperately seeking qualified individuals to innovate our product and our business into the future."
- Roger Collins, Siemens Charlotte Energy Hub
Why should you or your child come to CCDD?
Get hands on!
- Want to try coding? See the inside of the police bomb squad car? Use a welding device for the first time? Most vendors have hands-on activities for you to explore and learn more about their industry. Find out what career paths you or your child might be interested in at this interactive event.
Take the next step in your career
- Meet with universities and colleges to talk about next steps after high school. Many of these schools waive their application fees at this event!
- Real-life Human Resource (HR) representatives will also be on-site, giving students tips about how to score that job interview, what to wear to the office, and more.
"In today's world…it is very imperative that students have an idea starting within the 9th grade of what it is they'd like to do and how they'd like to get there."
- Dr. Yolanda Holmes, Community Partnership Coordinator, Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools
"High school students need to dream big. They need to understand that they have gifts and talents they haven't discovered yet…that is perfect for a career."
- Jennifer Roberts, former Mayor of Charlotte
"We want to make sure that students understand their career pathways, understand what's available to them and for them."
- Dawn Hill, Youth Programs Manager, City of Charlotte
"When you're in high school, you don't always know what's available to you, and this really gives them the opportunity to see all the various careers that they can pursue."
- Dena Diorio, Mecklenburg County Manager
2016 student attendees:
"I want to learn engineering so I've learned about different classes…I need to take in order to pursue my goal of becoming an engineer. "
- Dalayjah Pointer, West Charlotte High School
"You could have a career in mind and you could see other careers, and you could change and say 'Oh, I want to do this' or 'Oh, I want to do that."
- Joanna Figaro, Harding University High
"It helps kids develop a better understanding of what they want to do in life and in their careers."
- Solomon Morrison, Marie G Davis Academy
Learn how your business can participate in Charlotte Career Discovery Day by emailing email@example.com.
For Non CMS Students
Student attendance is coordinated through Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools and is for high schools students. If you're interested in attending, contact your school's CDC.
Students who are homeschooled, attend a private school or charter school, or are involved in any other non-CMS educational group can still attend Charlotte Career Discovery Day! All students must have a chaperone who transports the student(s) to the Convention Center and is with them at all times during the event. All attendees also must be pre-registered.
For more information and/or to register your non-CMS student group, please contact us.
Do you want to help 2,000+ youth learn more about career options so they can “Reimagine Life’s Possibilities? Sign up to be a Charlotte Career Discovery Day volunteer today!
Approximately 80 volunteers are needed for this event to help ensure students have a full experience. Volunteer opportunities include bus transportation, registration, vendor set up assistance, industry "zone" volunteers and other general duties.
Volunteers will be given a t-shirt to identify themselves as a volunteer, and refreshments will be provided.
To learn more and/or to sign up to volunteer, contact us.