Herbert H. Baxter (1943-1949)
Served as Charlotte's Mayor from 1943 until 1949.
A native of Boston, Baxter first came to Charlotte as a soldier at Camp Greene during World War I.
During his Administration:
- World War II ended. Germany surrendered on May 9, 1945; Japan, on September 2, 1945.
- The City Club was organized
- ABC stores opened.
- Freedom Park was created.
- Charlotte College (now the University of North Carolina at Charlotte) was established.
- Evergreen Cemetery was completed in December 1946 and the first burial was in January 1947.
- The number of City Council members was decreased to seven.