Charles A. Bland (1911-1915)
Dr. Bland served two terms as Charlotte's Mayor from 1911 to 1915.
Bland was one of Charlotte's prominent doctors. He was a partner in the development of Dilworth and Crescent Heights.
During his Administration:
- In 1913 Washington Heights was established. It was named for Booker T. Washington, a former slave that believed blacks could overcome adversity through education.
- The U.S. Mint closed. It had not minted coins since before the Civil War. The building was used by the Red Cross and the Charlotte Women's Club.
- The Norfolk and Southern Railroad came to Charlotte in 1913.
- Trees along Tryon Street were cut to make way for the "Great White Way" street lighting system.
- Phillip Lance sold peanut butter crackers business to business and house to house on his way to founding Lance, Inc.
- Presbyterian College for Women was relocated from Ninth and College streets to Selwyn Avenue and renamed Queens College.