The City of Charlotte offers an immersive U.S. Department of Labor (USDOL) Registered Apprenticeship program that allows participents to execute the essential duties to support our key services, while earning academic and industry recognized education upon completion of the program. Our experienced mentors guide apprentices through the program as they gain the critical on-the-job training that will fuel a fulfilling career in local government and pave the way for opportunities to advance within the organization.
Managed by City of Charlotte Talent and Acquisition Management, the Registered Apprenticeship offers:
- A paycheck from day one; to increase over time as you learns new skills.
- Hands-on career training in a wide selection of programs, such as construction, information technology and geospatial careers.
- An education and the potential to earn college credit, even an associate or bachelor's degree, in many cases paid for by your employer.
- A career once you complete your apprenticeship, you will be on your way to a successful long-term career with a competitive salary, and little or no educational debt.
- National industry certification upon graduation from a career training program and can take that certification anywhere in the United States.
We're looking for candidates who are eager to learn and grow within our organization and are able to demonstrate the following abilities:
- Enthusiasm - With apprenticeships, students need to have the drive to learn that will make the teacher's job easier.
- Originality - Being yourself is probably the most important factor and easiest way to be unique. Be honest and open to suggestions. You're applying for a practical position with constant learning.
- Initiative - Any work experience you've done shows you're committed to entering new learning environments highlighting your own initiative and that you can flourish in these situations.
All candidates selected for the positions must pass a background check to include a drug test, past education and employment verification (if applicable).
City of Charlotte established a North Carolina/USDOL Registered Apprenticeship on May 1, 2017.
As of Nov. 6, 2018, there are currently five apprenticeable occupations registered. They are:
- Conveyor Load Bridge Tech
- Diesel Vehicle Maintenance Tech
- HVAC Tech
- Surveying Tech
- Utilities Technician