Charlotte Mortgage Relief Assistance Program
The City of Charlotte is partnering with DreamKey Partners (formerly Charlotte-Mecklenburg Housing Partnership) to provide mortgage relief assistance for homeowners who need help with mortgage payments as a result of COVID-19.
Assistance will be prioritized for homeowners with an
active HouseCharlotte Downpayment Assistance loan, and who have experienced a loss or reduction of income due to COVID-19. The program provides up to 3 months of mortgage payments (principal, interest, taxes and insurance), as a grant to qualified applicants.
Approved applicants must
attend foreclosure prevention counseling with DreamKey Partners (formerly Charlotte-Mecklenburg Housing Partnership).
- Households with an active HouseCharlotte loan.
- Households with an income of up to 80% AMI prior to loss or reduction due to COVID-19 (chart below).
- Homeowners must be current on mortgage prior to loss of income due to COVID-19.
CBDG Household Size / Income Limit
How to apply:
Mortgage Relief Assistance Program applicants should
complete the pre-application at:
Applicants will be notified via email within one week of submitting an application.
Upon request selected applicants will be required to provide the following documents:
- Income verification (last two paystubs)
- Verification of Job Loss or Income Loss
- Verification of Mortgage Payment (Mortgage Payment Statement)
For more information, please contact DreamKey Partners (formerly Charlotte-Mecklenburg Housing Partnership) at
This program is being managed by DreamKey Partners (formerly Charlotte-Mecklenburg Housing Partnership) in compliance with all federal, state, and local fair housing laws.
DreamKey Partners will not discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, familial status, disability, or any other specific classes protected by applicable laws.
DreamKey Partners will allow any reasonable accommodation or reasonable modification based upon a disability-related need.
The HouseCharlotte program provides 5-year,10-year, or 15-year deferred, forgivable loans to qualified applicants. Funds can be used for downpayment, closing cost or interest rate buy down.
- Funding up to $7,500 for families with income above 80% Area Median Income (AMI), up to 110% AMI in certain locations.
- Funding up to $10,000 for families with income at or below 80% AMI
- Funding up to $10,000 for Public Service Employees with household income at or below 80% AMI purchasing within Charlotte City limits.
- Funding up to $17,000 for families with income at or below 80% AMI in select high cost Neighborhood Profile Areas.
- Families with incomes that are 110% or less of the HUD AMI are eligible for assistance.
- Participants must complete a pre-purchase homebuyer education program.
- The home must be a family's primary residence and be located in one of designated within the City of Charlotte limits.
- Maximum purchase price of home is
Maximum purchase price is $300,000 for New Construction properties
For more information, visit HouseCharlotteProgram.com, call 704-705-3999 or email HouseCharlotte@dkp.org.
Learn more about the HouseCharlotte Program at www.housecharlotteprogram.com.
Community Heroes Homeownership Program
The City of Charlotte, in partnership with Federal Home Loan Bank of Atlanta, is proud to offer the Community Heroes Homeownership Program, a program for local first responders, public school employees, and frontline essential workers that will provide them with up to $30,000 in down payment assistance for the purchase of a home in Mecklenburg County.
ELIGIBLE BUYERS INCLUDE:
- Law enforcement officers
- Other first responders (MEDIC, EMT, etc.)
- Public School Teachers
- Registered Nurses
- Nurse Practitioners
- Nurses Assistants
- Sanitation Workers
- Funeral Home Workers
- City and County Solid Waste Workers
- Homeless Shelter Workers (Social Workers, Counselors, Case Workers)
- Grocery and Pharmacy Workers
- Child Care Workers
- Supply Chain Company Workers
- Anyone Employed by the Public-School System such as:
*Eligible buyers must have household incomes of 80.01% - 120% of the Area Median Income.
Applications will open November 18, 2019. For more information, visit housecharlotteprogram.com or call 704-705-3999.
For General Program Information, Loan Submission Process and Requirements
DreamKey Partners (formerly Charlotte-Mecklenburg Housing Partnership) HouseCharlotte Team
For Lender Registration and Post Closing Account Services
Housing & Neighborhood Services
This effort aligns with The Community Letter - Charlotte City Council's adopted actions in response to the community. Visit: