City of Charlotte - Aging in Place
Program Qualifications & Considerations
The City of Charlotte has developed the Aging in Place program to support senior homeowners who want to continue to live in their home in spite of incurring substantial tax increases due to property revaluation. Aging in Place offers grants to low-income to moderate-income senior homeowners that allow them to age in place. Homeowners wishing to participate in the program must meet the following qualifications.
- Age 65 or older by the end of the calendar year for which assistance is being requested (2019)
- Application must be submitted for primary residence
- Only one application will be accepted per residence
- Residence must be located within City of Charlotte limits
- Applicant's name must be on the deed or title to the residence
- Applicant must have lived in the home as homeowner for at least 5 years prior to application
- Documented gross household yearly income
more than $30,200 but
not to exceed 80% AMI
- Demonstrated incurrence of a significant financial burden that threatens continued home ownership because of a substantially increased total property tax bill due to revaluation with a minimum increase of $100
- The grant will pay for the increase in City property tax burden associated with the 2019 Mecklenburg County Revaluation as compared to City property tax burden in 2018
- The grant payment will be based on the net increase experienced by the homeowner for their City tax burden
- The grant will be the lesser of the payment based on the net increase in tax burden, but not exceed $1,000
- Homeowners must presently not have any encumbrance attached to, or binding upon their property; including back property taxes, pending legal action, or easement disputes
- Homeowner must not presently be participating in any Mecklenburg County Tax Relief Program
- Submit an application to the City demonstrating financial need for assistance to stay in their homes due to revaluation
- Grant payments will be paid directly to the Mecklenburg County Office of the Tax Collector on behalf of the homeowner
There are multiple ways to fill out the preapplication form to see if you qualify for the Aging in Place program:
Online: Fill out the
online preapplication form to see if you qualify.
Phone: You may also call 704-336-3380 to fill out the preapplication form.
Mail: You may also mail in your preapplication form to:
- Attn: Cherie Grant, Housing & Neighborhood Services, 600 East Trade Street, Charlotte, NC 28202.
A City of Charlotte representative will follow up with you if you qualify. Have questions about the Aging in Place program? Call 704-336-3380 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn how the tax reevaluation may affect your tax bill, please visit the
County's Revaluation Webpage.