Charlotte International Cabinet
The Charlotte International Cabinet is an advisory board to the Mayor, Charlotte City Council, and the Office of International Relations.
The Charlotte International Cabinet serves our diverse global community by bridging greater understanding and making recommendations to the City Council. We promote this through enhanced communications, community outreach initiatives, and international business development.
To be authentic, engaged and integrated ambassadors of Charlotte’s diverse global community representing the collective voices.
To uphold the values and uncompromising principles of:
- Inclusiveness - To represent the voices of our diverse community. To challenge injustices and champion diversity. We are leaders of our community that are uniquely selected to use our life experiences and what it has afforded us to be able to make a difference in our respected groups of influence.
- Equitable opportunities - To ensure policy changes, programs, or the resources we pioneer are fairly assessed and easily accessible to all segments and demographics of people. Keeping equity at root ensures that every member of our community is not excluded or neglected to foster safety and trust in our system.
- Economic mobility - Immigrants are a huge resource engine to our economic viability creating a tremendous impact towards our financial, social and cultural contributions. We are committed to removing barriers, and to the actions that will support, mentor, advise and promote economic growth for everyone.
City Council gave the Cabinet the following charges:
- Provide input and recommendations to City Council on topics pertaining to international affairs of domestic and foreign origin.
- Promote a forum to convene the international, immigrant, and other communities to raise visibility of issues facing the community at large, and promote collaboration among Charlotte's diverse population.
- Encourage growth of international business through partnerships that support globally-competitive workforce development, entrepreneurship, foreign direct investment, and exporting.
- Keep City Council and City staff abreast of conditions in the international and immigrant communities, and how these conditions might affect business-government relations.
- Advise Mayor and Council on international travel and on formal invitations for incoming delegations.
The 21 members of the Charlotte International Cabinet are appointed by the Mayor and City Council. They represent various aspects of Charlotte's international community and work to promote Charlotte as an international city. If you are interested in serving on the Cabinet we recommend that you attend a few meetings before applying with the
Clerk's Office. For more information about serving on the Cabinet,
please email us.
Forum Recording: Charlotte's
International Community Emerging from the Pandemic Stronger than Before