Internship Opportunities at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Emergency Management
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Emergency Management Office (CMEMO) is seeking eligible applicants for its internship program. Day-to-day activities may include, but are not limited to data entry, research and analysis, conducting tabletop exercises, After Action Reports, assisting with planning for the annual Prepare-A-thon and other special projects and Emergency Management duties as assigned. Must be an analytical self-motivator with the capability to handle multiple projects at once, sometimes with short turn-around dates.
Requirements for selection include: full-time student status at an accredited institution, a grade point average of at least 2.0, and the ability to work 20 hours per week for at least six (6) months. All candidates selected to move forward in the process will be required to undergo an in-depth background investigation and a drug test. Interns will be located at the Fire Department Headquarters at 500 Dalton Avenue for the duration of the internship.
Please submit: 1) Letter of Interest, 2) Resume, and 3) Official Transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor and respond to the CMEMO general inquiry e-mail inbox
- Provide administrative and clerical assistance to CMEMO staff
- Assist the Fixed Nuclear Facility planner with maintenance of records and other projects as needed
- Develop and maintain a system for tracking progress on multi-stage projects
- Prepare agendas for, attend, and take minutes for meetings as requested
- Must be a student currently enrolled in either an undergraduate or graduate program
- Able to work 20 hours per week in the CMEMO office
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Background knowledge of Emergency Management (i.e. Emergency Management coursework or previous experience in the field)
- Completion of FEMA Independent Study (IS) courses 100 and 200
- Strong writing skills
- Hourly rate between $14-18 commensurate with years of school completed
- 20 hours per week
The application period is currently open until Monday, October 19, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.