The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department (CMPD) offers an exciting and rewarding College Internship Program which introduces students to the opportunities and disciplines within the law enforcement field. Interns work alongside department personnel in a wide spectrum of assignments throughout the CMPD. Interns will be exposed to effective problem-solving and partnership-building skills as well as gaining a better understanding of day-to-day operations of the police department.
The internship will allow interns that desire to become sworn law enforcement officers with CMPD the opportunity to work in a CMPD Investigative, Support Services, and/or Field Services Group for duration of the internship. This will provide interns with an overview of the various work duties and responsibilities of sworn law enforcement personnel.
Before filling out the application for the internship program, candidates should also read the expectations and qualifications listed below:
- Have the capability to work varying hours, depending on the need of their respective assignment.
- Commit at least
40 hours per week during the 8-week program.
- Arrive on time to all assignments, give appropriate notice to their supervisors when absences are anticipated, and attend all necessary training and meetings.
- Behave in a professional manner at all times, treating Charlotte-Mecklenburg citizens, employees of the CMPD, and other interns with respect.
- Perform assigned duties in a timely and efficient manner. If unaware of what duties are to be completed, the intern is expected to obtain clarification from the intern supervisor or the intern coordinator.
- Interns should possess strong research and analytical skills.
- Interns should possess strong oral and written communication skills.
- Interns should possess strong organizational skills.
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, and various data bases).
- Write or transcribe information using proper grammar and syntax.
- Submit to a drug test and polygraph examination.
- Take part in a minimum of five (5) Ride-A-Longs throughout the internship.
- Dress in a manner that is professional and in accordance with CMPD policies.
- Prepare and submit a 5-page paper and complete an oral presentation on the specific assignments/duties they were tasked with during the internship, lessons learned, and if this experience has led to the further pursuit of a career in law enforcement.
- Interns must be an under graduate or graduate student currently enrolled in a college or university.
- Candidates will be required to successfully complete an oral interview and background investigation, drug test, and polygraph exam as part of the qualification process.
- Meet and maintain the minimum GPA requirement of a 2.0.
This is a paid internship program at $15/hour at 40 hours/week at 8-weeks.
How to Apply
Candidates selected to move forward in the Intern recruiting process will be asked to mail the following documents after submitting the online application.
For further information please contact:
- A letter of interest specifying the following items:
- Reason for applying
- Area of interest
- Overall career goals
- Tell us about yourself and life experiences
- Any skill set that you possess
- A certified copy of your college transcript
- A letter of recommendation from your Academic Advisor
- A current resume
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department values all its interns and strives to create a work atmosphere that facilitates growth and learning. We value integrity and are committed to enhancing our organization and community through hard work and respect for others. We are very excited about the Internship Program and look forward to meeting and placing new interns in positions throughout the department.