The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department is looking for a few good teens ... to participate in a one-week, hands-on course for young people who are interested in a career in law enforcement or students who would like to find out more about the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.We are now taking applications for the Middle School and High School Police Academy. This is a one week program that allows Middle School or High School students to see what a career in Law Enforcement is all about.View the most recent High School Academy videoAccess the High School Application HERE!!Qualifications:
Topics to be covered:
- Middle School Applicants must be at least 10 years of age and completed the fifth grade
- High School Applicants must be at least 14 years of age and completed the eighth grade
- No Arrests
- No out of school suspensions in the last year
- Must maintain a “C” average or better
- Must be willing to participate in all activities (Academic and Physical)
- Cannot have attended a previous CMPD Middle or High School Academy
- Obtain a recommendation from your School Resource Officer and/or School Administrator
- Receive parental or legal guardian approval
- Complete and submit the online application and additional forms
Team Building, Crime Scene Investigation, Criminal Investigation, Defensive Tactics, Traffic Stops, Building Searches, Physical Fitness, Suspect Encounters, Demos from different units and the responsibilities of wearing the badge.Other Information:
Dates:Middle School Academy:Monday, June, 28th, 2021 – Friday, July 2nd, 2021
High School Academy:Monday, July, 26th, 2021 - Friday, July 30th, 2021
Latino High School Academy:Monday, August 2, 2021 – Friday, August 6, 2021
(In Conjunction with a Community Partner)Latino High School Academy:Monday, August 9, 2021 – Friday, August 13, 2021
(In Conjunction with a Community Partner)
Time: Monday - Friday 09:00am - 3:00pm
Location: Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Academy, 1770 Shopton Road Charlotte, NC 28217
Transportation: Transportation to and from the Police Academy will be the responsibility of the student and/or parents.
Lunch: Students must bring lunch with them each day except for Friday.
Academy Uniform: You will be required to wear khaki pants each day. CMPD will issue each participant a High School Academy T-shirt
Access the High School Application HERE!!
To submit the online SeamlessDocs application, you'll need to fill out the wizard form and hit continue to populate the application. Once the application is populated, click on the sign and finalize button at the bottom of the form. Sign the document and hit Finalize. There will be a confirmation screen that will display your submitted application.
For further information or to request a hard copy of the application contact:
Community Services and Youth Division
601 East Trade Street
Charlotte, NC 28202