FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Kate Luck
Corporate Communications & Marketing
Update: City announces inclement weather service impacts
as more precipitation expected
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (Jan. 22, 2016)- City representatives shared updates Friday on city services impacted due to inclement weather.
As more precipitation moves into the area through the afternoon, conditions are expected to worsen. The city continues to monitor the changing weather and adjust services as needed.
Charlotte Area Transit System
- CityLYNX Gold Line
- CATS is not operating the CityLYNX Gold Line due to weather conditions.
- LYNX Blue Line
- LYNX is operating 10-minute intervals as weather conditions allow.
- CATS Buses
- Local and shuttle service is operating but many have detours, and passengers should expect delays. Express and regional express bus service has been cancelled due to worsening conditions. Airport Connector routes 590-Northlake and 591-Archdale are operating. Special Transportation Service is operating as scheduled.
- The Red, Green and Yellow bus routes on the UNC Charlotte campus have also been cancelled.
- Riders should go to ridetransit.org and click on the Inclement Weather banner for a turn-by-turn description of each route and its detour. Ridetransit.org will contain the most up-to-date information. Riders can also call 704-336-RIDE (7433). Wait times for call-in information may be delayed due to heavy call volume.
Although treated with sand and ice-melting products, surfaces at station platforms, park and ride lots and other CATS facilities may still be slippery. Please use extreme caution when accessing CATS facilities.
Mecklenburg County/American Red Cross
- A warming station is open today at 618 N College St. The warming station opened at 11:00 a.m. and will remain open until 6:00 p.m. At 6:00 p.m. Mecklenburg County and American Red Cross will reevaluate shelter capacities and a decision will be made as to operations of the warming station.
Charlotte Douglas International Airport/Aviation
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport is open today with limited airfield operations.
- Currently, all taxiways and two of CLT's three parallel runways are open.
- The airport has initiated its irregular operations plan to respond to any stranded passenger and/or terminal impacts. This includes coordination with airlines, concessions and TSA.
- Treatment of airport runways, taxiways, airfield ramps, landside areas, parking lots and roads began last night and will continue today.
- Today all scheduled operations have been canceled for American Airlines, Regionals, Delta, United, Southwest, Lufthansa, Air Canada, ViaAir and JetBlue. If you are a ticketed customer on another airline, please contact that airline before leaving for the Airport.
- Passengers are encouraged to remain at home if their flight has been canceled.
Solid Waste Services (SWS)
- Solid Waste Services will be suspending collections until Monday, Jan. 25. Thursday and Friday customers who did not have trash collected this week will be collected on Monday, Jan. 25. SWS will operate on a one-day delay the week of Jan. 25 – Jan. 29, with Friday customers receiving collection service on Saturday, Jan. 30. Go to charlottenc.gov for a full collection schedule for the week of Jan. 25 to Jan. 29.
- To report a power outage, contact Duke Energy at 1-800-POWERON(1-800-769-3766)
Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department (CMPD)
- CMPD responded to 56 accidents this morning, about half of normal volume.
Animal Care & Control (AC&C)
- AC&C shelter will be closed today but they will be responding to emergency calls.