The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department’s Public Affairs Office and Recruiting Division are launching a police recruitment video contest. The department is seeking creative storytelling through video that will attract the best and brightest to the ranks of the CMPD. We are looking for submissions that are unique, organic, proactive, entertaining and targeted to young people who may or may not be considering a career in policing.
The videos should be memorable, repeatable and capture immediate attention. Community members will choose first, second and third place winners from a group of finalists in each category.
A panel of judges will review submissions in two categories.
1. Student Category: This is for elementary, middle and high school age videographers only.
2. Adult Category: Applies to all other submissions.
Submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
• Overall Appeal
• Unique Quality
• Adherence to Contest Rules
The contest will run from Wednesday, April 18, 2018 through Thursday May 31, 2018.
· First Place: $1,000 cash prize and a 6 month internship at the CMPD public affairs office for further work in video production
· Second Place: $500 cash prize
· Third place: $500 cash prize.
· First Place: $2,500 cash prize
· Second Place: $1,500 cash prize
· Third Place: $1,000 cash prize.
Winning videos will be broadcast on the CMPD’s various social media platforms, website and through conventional media outlets.
Below is a list of contest requirements:
· Video file must be submitted – the video file must be under one (1) minutes in length and at least thirty (30) seconds. (all copyrighted material will be removed).
· It is recommended that video file size be kept under three hundred (300) MB for quicker upload/encoding time.
· Finalists (as defined below) may be asked to provide higher resolution files.
· Video files must be provided in one of the following file formats: .MP4; .MPG; .MOV; .AVI; or .WMV.
· For all video submissions shot in 16:9 aspect ratio, they should be center cut protected.
· Finalists may be asked to provide the original audio and video files used during production of the entry for broadcast purposes.
· This may include uncompressed QuickTime files, final audio mix and/or separate audio tracks for dialogue, music, and effects.
· Participants must have received written permission for the use of the image/likeness of any and all identifiable persons appearing in their submission.
· A generic release form may be used to confirm permissions from persons appearing in the submission; however, if selected as a finalist in the contest, participants will be required to obtain a release provided by sponsor signed by each identifiable person appearing in the submission granting sponsor permission to use his or her image/likeness for no additional consideration.
· The person uploading the submission will be deemed the entrant (“Entrant”). The entrant is the one (1) person who owns the email address associated with the submission.
· If any group elects to collaborate on a submission, they are required to designate one (1) person as the agent of the group to enter the contest, agree to these contest rules and accept any award (as defined below) on behalf of the group.
· The sponsor, neither the contest administrators nor any of the contest entities are liable for any disputes between collaborators arising under or related to the contest.
· Each individual entrant is allowed one (1) submission per submission period
· Each submission must comply with the website and contest rules.
· Each submission must be the original work of the entrant produced for this contest
· Each submission must not contain any copyrighted works (other than as owned by the entrant or approved by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.
· Any music included in the submission must be entirely original, created and performed by entrant, or be in the public domain and not require any additional clearances for sponsor to use or post on public websites or to use in public forums (including on national television) of any kind.
· Use of any unauthorized music will result in disqualification of submission
· Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to remove or blur or to ask the applicable entrant to remove or blur any non-material elements (e.g. small logos on clothing, artwork hanging in the background, etc.) rather than disqualify an otherwise compliant submission.
· CMPD employees and immediate family members are not eligible to receive prizes.
By entering this contest and uploading a submission, entrant irrevocably grants to sponsor and their agents the unconditional and perpetual right to post, display, publish, use, adapt, edit and/or modify such submission in any way, in any and all media, for any purpose, without limitation, and without consideration to entrant. Finalists agree to irrevocably assign and transfer to the sponsor any and all rights, title and interest in submission, including, without limitation, all copyrights and waive all moral rights in Submission. All contest entrants further agree to release and indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsor, the contest administrators and the contest entities from any and all claims that any commercial, advertising, presentation, web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of sponsor infringe on the rights of entrant’s work as contained in any submission.