CLT Ranks Fifth Busiest Airport in the Nation and Sixth in the World
April 11, 2016 - Charlotte Douglas International Airport is the fifth busiest airport nationwide and sixth busiest worldwide, according to recently released 2015 preliminary Airports Council International (ACI) rankings.
It is a jump from 2014 rankings that placed CLT sixth nationwide and seventh worldwide in operations. Last year, CLT handled 543,944 aircraft movements.
“We’re proud to be a top 10 airport,” said Interim Aviation Director Brent Cagle. “Our numbers are a reflection of not only the growth of our region, but commitment from our tenants and partners to provide quality service to our passengers.”
Despite passenger traffic increasing 1 percent last year, the Airport’s nationwide passenger traffic rankings slipped one spot from eighth in 2014 to ninth in 2015. Worldwide passenger traffic also dipped from 24th in 2014 to 27th in 2015. Charlotte Douglas welcomed 44.9 million travelers last year, an all-time record high.
In 2015, passengers were able to take advantage of several new nonstop flights offered at CLT.
- American Airlines began seasonal nonstop service to Albuquerque, New Mexico; Curacao, Dutch Caribbean and Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.
- American Airlines also started nonstop service to Burlington, Vermont; Springfield-Branson, Missouri and Portland, Maine.
- United Airlines kicked off nonstop service to Denver, Colorado.
- Frontier Airlines introduced nonstop service to Philadelphia.
- Southwest Airlines announced nonstop service to Dallas-Love Field.
- ViaAir debuted nonstop service to Myrtle Beach.
Click here to review ACI’s press release. Data from the rankings is based on reports from 1,144 airports worldwide. Final ACI numbers will be published this summer. Rankings are subject to change.