Attend a meeting of the Charlotte International Cabinet or the Immigrant Integration Task Force. These groups help advise the City on international and immigrate affairs and their meetings are open to the public. You can also check with the City Clerk's Office to see if any Cabinet appointments are open. Members are appointed to serve three-year terms by the Mayor or City Council. A City Boards and Commissions application must be completed and filed with the City Clerk's Office to be considered for appointment. Next year the Cabinet will launch a matching grant program to further encourage residents to engage with our Sister Cities.
The Office of International Relations offers internships each academic semester and in the summer. These internships offer an opportunity to garner a wealth of knowledge pertaining to international relations, economic development and governance. As these positions are non-salaried, students are required to receive academic credit for their internship.
Fall and Spring Semesters
Duration: mid-August to mid-December (fall); mid-January to mid-May (spring)
Hours: minimum of 16 hours per week, preferably in 5+ hour blocks.
Deadline for Applications: August 20 (fall); November 18 (spring)
Duration: mid-May to mid-August
Hours: minimum of 30 hours per week
Deadline: March 10
Intern duties may include:
- General office administration
- Community outreach - speaking with the community; social media engagement
- Desktop publishing - creating a weekly bulletin of international events in the Charlotte area
- Website maintenance
- Database maintenance - updating and maintaining the International Organizations and other databases
- Project management and execution – work on projects as directed by the International Relations Manager and Coordinator
Required & Preferred Skills:
- Strong organizational and research skills
- Strong communication skills and ability to multi-task
- Relevant educational background (university-level coursework), preferably in an international area of study
- Ability to problem-solve and work independently
- Interest in and commitment to international relations and cooperation
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Experience with social media (including Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn)
- Some experience with website management (Content Management Systems and databases) is desirable, but not required
- Knowledge of a second language is desirable, but not required
We also offer opportunities for international students seeking experience volunteering in an American office environment. International interns must be at least 21 years old.
Interested students should submit a cover letter and résumé to Alexis Gordon at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those candidates being invited for an interview will be contacted.