SouthPark already has substantial private investment and a long history of growth, but there is still a role for public sector investments in the area. Therefore, the focus of the SouthPark CNIP is to identify and implement those public investments that will support and help sustain the high levels of private investment already underway. The overall goal is to strategically provide the investments that will maintain and enhance SouthPark as a community that is attractive, economically strong, and provides transportation choices.
To meet that goal, the project objectives for the SouthPark CNIP are to:
- Support continued evolution of the Mixed-Use Activity Center by accommodating access by all modes;
- Improve bicycle and pedestrian access to the Center from surrounding neighborhoods;
- Enhance peoples’ ability to move around within the Center by walking, biking, and using transit (create a “park once” environment);
- Provide better access to existing greenspaces and support the desire for more greenspace in the public realm; and
- Support the density, vibrancy, and strong sense of place expected in Mixed-Use Activity Centers.