It's About Vision:
The Charlotte Gateway Station (CGS) will be a comprehensive multi-modal transportation facility in vibrant uptown Charlotte at the intersection of West Trade and Graham Streets. This signature passenger station will provide both long-distance travelers and daily-commuters with greater accessibility to regional connections as well as to Charlotte's thriving employment, entertainment and cultural centers.
From August 1-3, 2016 a Station Area Visioning workshop was held to gather initial public input on land use, development opportunities, transportation connections, and desired amenities to determine a station area vision. This vision concept is not a specific design proposal.
Based on the input received from 60 public meeting attendees and 50 regional stakeholders three vision concepts were developed: Charlotte Gateway Station Area Concepts. On November 9, the project team presented a refined station area concept to the public based on public & stakeholder feedback as well as 367 online survey respondents.
Refined Station Area Concept: Amtrak Station
- Features an "urban living room" that can serve a variety of functions
- Iconic architectural features
- Light-filled passenger concourse connecting passengers to and from the rail platform
- Surface-level CATS bus facility could enable weather protected transfers below the plaza level and an adjacent indoor waiting area also serving Amtrak passengers
- Ground-level Greyhound facility with structured parking above, connected to main block via covered walkway
- Landscaped greenway could provide high-quality pedestrian and bicycle access between buildings and through the station neighborhood.
- Pedestrian plaza along Trade Street and Graham Street
- Pavilion building on main block could provide retail and gathering spaces
The CGS Station Area Concept study will conclude in January 2017. The project team will then advance the financial plan for the station and pursue private development opportunities.
Learn more about the refined station area concept: PowerPoint Presentation & Brochure
For questions or comments regarding the station area plan call CATS customer service at 704-336-RIDE(7433) or email email@example.com