All of CATS fixed route buses and trains are accessible and meet the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. CATS also offers paratransit, Special Transportation Service (STS), for eligible customers with disabilities.
CATS' process to determine eligibility for STS paratransit service includes an application, interview and functional assessment. This process meets ADA guidelines for determining whether a person can ride fixed route or is eligible for paratransit. It ensures that ADA paratransit is available for individuals who really need it. As a result, STS is reserved for people with disabilities that prevent them from riding fixed route. People with disabilities who are not eligible for paratransit are encouraged to ride CATS various fixed route services which are accessible and have many advantages.
Benefits of Riding Fixed Route
- Less expensive
- Greater independence
- Wheelchair securement
- On board surveillance and security system
- More frequent service
- Same day service
- Set your own schedule
- No reservations needed
- Vehicles are 100% accessible
- Priority seating for people with disabilities
- Automated voice and display announcements
- 70+ routes in Charlotte region
CATS Accessibility Features
- Are equipped with 600 lb. capacity ramps or lifts, low floors or kneeling capability for anyone who has a difficult time climbing steps
- Have priority seating for customers with disabilities conveniently located at the front of the bus. Bus operators will secure wheelchairs and scooters.
- Have an automated system that displays and announces time points, major intersections, landmarks and points of interests. Bus operators will also announce upcoming stop locations if requested by a rider.
- Have push strips to request the operator to stop and to deploy the lift
- Permit service animals
For information on riding the bus, schedules, trip planning or to request an accessible bus stop, click here. To engage a speaker to explain these services, call (704) 336-2233.
LYNX Light Rail
CATS LYNX trains also have priority seating near the train entrance as well as level floor boarding from the station platform. Visit LYNX for information regarding CATS light rail accessibility.
CATS paratransit service, STS, provides door to door transportation for people with disabilities according to the Americans with Disabilities Act. To get an application and learn more about the eligibility process for STS visit Paratransit Certification/Eligibility.
CATS offers one-on-one training for people with disabilities who wish to learn how to use fixed route buses or light rail. For information about CATS Travel Training click here
or call 704 336-2233 or 704 336-RIDE (7433).
Fares on CATS fixed route services for people with disabilities and people 62 years or more w/ Transit ID or Medicare card is half price. STS fares must be paid with tickets or a STS monthly pass. Cleck here for CATS Fares
For additional information on CATS accessibility, call (704) 336-RIDE.