Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) has been owned and operated by the City of Charlotte for 80 years.
Its daily operations are managed by Aviation Director Brent Cagle who administers the CLT annual budget of $144,667,936, and leads the Airport Management Team as well as approximately 450 Aviation Department employees.
Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) was established in 1935 and opened as Charlotte Municipal Airport before its name was changed to Douglas Municipal Airport, honoring former Mayor Ben Elbert Douglas, Sr. The Airport became known as Charlotte Douglas International Airport in 1982.
CLT provides service to more than 150 destinations throughout the world and averages 700 daily departures. The 1.8-million square-foot terminal building contains five concourses and 96 gates. It has more than quadrupled in size since opening in 1982. CLT is 9th nationwide and 27th worldwide in passengers. CLT is the second largest hub for American Airlines, the world's largest airline. Additionally, general aviation is operated through Wilson Air Center-CLT, which serves as the executive terminal for four Fortune 500 companies. Since 1948, the North Carolina Air National Guard has been based at CLT, home to the Guard's 145th Airlift Wing.
CLT is also a major employment center, with nearly 18,000 workers on site. The majority (more than 10,000) are employed by American Airlines, with nearly 8,000 additional workers employed by other airlines, tenants and businesses. Charlotte Douglas is also a major contributor to the region's economy, contributing nearly $12 billion in annual total economic impact, according to a report prepared by the UNCC Center for Transportation Policy Studies.
CLT Airport Home Page
Aviation Leadership Team