Some water outages appear on @CLTWater Twitter page.
A water outage can occur if:
- A crew is repairing a drinking water pipe nearby and have to turn water off. Occasionaly crews do not have time to notify everyone.
- Construction work requires a planned (notified in advanced) or an unplanned water outage occurs.
- Water bill is past due and disconnected (typically receive a notice on bill and phone call prior to disconnection).
- Check front door for possible notice of planned water outage or repair crew on street.
- If outage in neighborhood, call 311 or 704-336-7600 for updates or check @CLTWater on Twitter.
- If past due bill needs to be paid, call 311 or 704-336-7600. Follow prompts to pay via phone.
- Once water is restored:
- Run cold water from outside spigots (weather permitting) to clear trapped air and discolored water from plumbing.
- Remove aerators from faucets (looks like grill where water comes out) by hand or jar opener.
- Run cold water from inside faucets and bathtub spigots until water is clear or up-to 15 minutes.
- If water doesn't clear up within 15 minutes, call 311 or 704-336-7600 for assistance.
- Flush out water heater according to manufacturer's website or owner's manual if needed (if you experience cloudy or discolored water when running hot water).