Charlotte Water

​​​​ Commercial Meter and Tap Connections

Effective February 2018: Capacity Reservations Extended
Customers who desire water or sewer service(s) for commercial use must complete the following:

1) Determine the availability of existing water and/or sewer infrastructure. Call 3-1-1 (704-336-7600) and ask for Charlotte Water (CLTWater) Customer Service.

If service is not immediately available to your site, please see the Extension Policies section of this brochure.

2) All commercial service requests 1.5-inch in diameter or greater (excluding fire line services and irrigation services) will require the completion of a Capacity Assurance Review of your proposed project which may take up to 20 business days to perform.  Please request this review application from Customer Service.  Applicable Capacity Assurance approval shall be issued prior to acceptance of fees.

3) Determine service connection fees. Please refer to our current rate schedule for sewer service connections measuring less than 6 inches (diameter) and water service connections measuring 4 inches and smaller(excluding 4-inch FMCT services). A written quotation from Installation & Development Services is required for the remaining service connections that are not provided on the rate sheet.  The following is required for a written quotation:

(A) Set of utility plans (full sheet, to scale) submitted electronically in PDF format with:

  • The size and location of proposed service connection(s) clearly marked, including the connection point to our mains;
  • Existing utilities (telephone, gas, electric, cable) or any other structures displayed that will impact the location or installation of service connections;
  • Roads with pavement width and right-of-way;
  • A vicinity map with street names;
  • The address or tax parcel number of the project;
  • The name, address and phone number of contact person.
  • (Utility plan shall be reviewed concurrently with the Capacity Assurance Review).  Any changes to the utility site plan after it has been submitted will require the re-submittal of a revised site plan to New Services.

All quotations are valid through June 30th of the calendar year.

4) Once service availability has been determined and costs have been calculated, the applicant must:

  • Complete an application for water and/or sewer connection(s);
  • Complete a backflow service questionnaire for all water services;
  • Submit a check or money order for the applicable fees with applications to Customer Service located at 5100 Brookshire Blvd.

5) The typical installation schedule is eight (8) weeks after receipt of payment.

6) All service connections to existing Charlotte Water mains shall be made by Charlotte-Water.

7) You will need to clearly mark the desired service location(s) with a stake or other marker. Water services larger than 2” will require horizontal and vertical staking. Marking flags may be picked up at New Services at the time of payment. Proposed sidewalk/curb, existing road R/W, applicable walls, etc. shall be marked.

8) A water service includes the following:

  • Connection to the public water main;
  • Service lateral to property line valve or 1 foot behind meter (whichever is applicable)
  • Meter assembly & vault.

A sewer service includes the following:

  • Connection to the public sewer main or existing/proposed manhole;
  • Service lateral to the edge of right-of-way;
  • Stub out for the connection point.

*Sewer and Water services will be installed at a depth that is practical.  We recommend that you consult with a licensed plumber or professional engineer for guidance on flag placement or staking. Please note that due to site conditions, design considerations or conflicts, we may not be able to install your service connection at your requested location.  Therefore, we recommend that you do not install your private plumbing until Charlotte Water has installed the services from the public pipe connection to your property.


Upon plan submittal or application, you will be notified if an encroachment permit is required.  The most common encroachment requirement involves the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) for connections on State maintained roads.  It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide the necessary documents for encroachment submittal.  Example documents may be obtained from New Services.  CLTWater will submit the encroachment documents to NCDOT for approval. 

The applicant will need to allow four (4) to eight (8) weeks for NCDOT approval, in addition to the typical installation schedule.  Any other encroachments (i.e. Railroads, Natural Gas, etc.) will be the responsibility of the applicant.

Sewer Only Customers
Sewer only customers are required to install a metering device on their private water supply.  Please contact 3-1-1 (704-336-7600) and ask for Customer Service for further information.

Extension Policies
Applicants who do not have direct access to water and/or sewer mains may qualify for one of our Extension Programs. For further information please contact 3-1-1 (704-336-7600) and ask for Customer Service.

Developer Funded Projects

Service connections to mains being built under a Developer Funded Project contract are typically installed by the developer.  Once the water and/or sewer mains have been donated to the city, service connections shall be made by Charlotte Water.  Please call 3-1-1 (704-336-7600 )and ask for the Donated Projects Section for more information.

Required Backflow Prevention Devices
Applying for a new service for commercial property or an irrigation meter?
Please check out backflow information and application.

For larger construction projects, typically commercial projects, you will need to submit a quote request to engineering. It will need to include the full-size utility plan sheet, location and size of proposed water or sewer connection, labeled street names, plan scale, vicinity/location map, directional arrow, and a business card or return address.

For more information about water and sewer taps, email us or call 311 or 704-336-7600 (ask for "New Tap Request") or 704-432-2854.


Before a water meter or wastewater tap can be installed, review below:

Pre-Installation Forms

Fire Hydrant Flow Request Forms

Private water permitting documents

Meter or Tap Installation Forms

Application for Commercial, Multi-family property

Home Builders / Developers request form to get water meter(s) installed:

Other Forms