Charlotte Water

​​Moving? Need to start or stop water service? 

Contact Charlotte Water by dialing 311 or 704-336-7600 and ask for "water move in or move out" between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please provide:

  1. Social Security Number (SSN) (preferred); or
  2. Employer Tax Identification Number (EIN) Note: (this is a business tax identification number, NOT an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN, W-7). Federal rules prohibit accepting ITIN for identity verification outside the tax system.

If you would like to talk to someone in person, please go to: 

  • Adam Service Center, 4150 Wilkinson Boulevard, near Morris Field Drive (between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday) OR
  • Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center (CMGC), 600 East Fourth Street, Charlotte, NC, 28202 (between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday).

Customer must provide one of the following:

  1. Social Security Number (preferred)
  2. Employer Tax Identification Number (EIN)
  3. Drivers license
  4. Government-issued identification (must include photo)
Our goal is to have water turned on within 24 to 48 hours.  A $41.00 charge will apply for new services.

​New Connections

Frequently Asked Questions



Is water / sewer service available to my property?<div class="ExternalClass7D6488E2D1F042EC979B323E55B05812"><div><p>​Call 311 or 704-336-7600 and ask if public water and/or sanitary sewer service is available. If you would like to connect to service (and currently use a well or septic) ask for "Charlotte Water New Tap Request." </p></div></div>
What size pipe serves a typical house?<div class="ExternalClass58DF19C798B145319F83472D6553D9EB"><p>​​​​The common residential service is a 3/4-inch water connection (5/8-inch meter) tap and a 4-inch sewer lateral. </p><p><br></p></div>
How do I switch from a well or septic tank​ and apply for a public water meter or sewer tap?<div class="ExternalClass44194847B7DD4B1B99E77B6B66F7A1C4"><p>​Start with <a href="">county website about well and septic</a>. ​</p><p>The common residential service is a 3/4-inch water tap and a 4-inch sewer. Before work can be scheduled, residential customers must pay the non-refundable water connection and capacity fee for each service needed. <a href="/Water/Pages/NewConnectionsResidential.aspx">Learn more</a>.<br></p></div>
What is a Connection Fee?<div class="ExternalClass696EECF681854C48A07D52FF07941EDE"><div><p>A connection fee is the cost of installing a tap from the service pipe (under the street) to your property. The connection fee is based on the average cost of installing taps last year.<br></p></div></div>
What is a Capacity Fee?<div class="ExternalClass1EF72EE95D074DBFB701F4E365AC09B9"><div><p>​A capacity fee is to pay for the new customer impact on the overall public system. The average residential household uses more than 5,000 gallons of water a month. The capacity fee will help provide for the additional improvements necessary to provide water and sewer services for the new customer. Sewer capacity fee is based on water meter size.<br></p></div></div>
What is the Estimated Timeline to install water or sewer pipes under a street to a property (or street main extension) for a new tap or meter connection?<div class="ExternalClass48761174687D4189851210546A22CF4D"><div><div><p>​Approximately 6-12 months after receipt of payment. Once you've put in the request for service, it may still be several months before the water or sewer pipe can be extended to your home or business. Crews must investigate property lines, make plans for construction, and obtain the proper permits before construction can even begin. The construction process may also take longer if the project is difficult (requires purchasing easements, topographical challenges) and or impeded by bad weather. It may take approximately six (6) weeks upon approval of the NCDOT encroachment.<br></p></div></div></div>
What is the Estimated Timeline for a New Water Meter or Sewer Tap Installation?<div class="ExternalClassE2CDF3B2137F4CEEBBAB2BCD7E98B706"><p>​Approximately 6-8 weeks after receipt of payment if water or sanitary sewer pipe already exists at or near property. If pipes must be extended to serve property it may take several months.<br></p></div>