Charlotte Water

Emergency Services

If you are experiencing a water emergency or suspect a sewage overflow or spill, dial 311 or 704-​336-7600 - 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If call is after business hours, select water or sewer emerge​ncy from the automated phone prompt.



Water<div class="ExternalClass7AF016E1F25F42F79AAD40477A165AF8"><p><ul><li><a href="/Water/Pages/WaterOutage.aspx">Outage</a> <br></li><li><a href="/Water/Pages/DiscoloredWater.aspx">Discolored (redish, cloudy)</a><br></li><li><a href="/Water/Pages/WaterLeaks.aspx">Report a leak</a><br></li><li><a href="/Water/Pages/WaterOdor.aspx">Odor</a><br></li><li><a href="/Water/Pages/WaterPressure.aspx">Pressure</a> <span lang="EN">(high water pressure or low water pressure)</span><br></li></ul> </p></div>
Wastewater<div class="ExternalClass93973FFD48A44792A9B880993CD15F8B"><ul><li>​<span lang="EN"><a href="/Water/Pages/WastewaterBackUpInHome.aspx">Backup in building</a></span><br></li><li><a href="/Water/Pages/WastewaterOverflow.aspx">Overflow at manhole</a><br></li><li><a href="/Water/Pages/WastewaterOdor.aspx">Odor</a><br></li></ul></div>

Frequently Asked Questions



​Who can assess my water pressure, plumbing and possibly install or adjust the pressure-reducing valve (PRV)? <div class="ExternalClassEFDA43DF2D2E46E88C56FCFC2E62D69D"><p>A licensed plumber should perform the assessment, adjustment, and/or installation. It is always best to check with the Better Business Bureau. <br><br>NOTE: Please be sure your plumber clearly explains any warranty that may apply to the PRV and to the plumber's work. <a href="/Water/Pages/WaterPressure.aspx">Learn more</a>.</p></div>
Water Leaks? <div class="ExternalClass76EB6AFB177749F99553581888FCCDE6"><p>To report a suspected problem, call 311 or 704-336-7600. ​</p><p>When you report the problem, please provide as much description as possible about the situation. Charlotte Water will dispatch a service technician to evaluate the problem as soon as possible. If a leak exists on a public water pipe, then a work order will be created and a crew dispatched. <a href="/Water/Pages/WaterLeaks.aspx">Learn more</a>.</p></div>
When will water leak be repaired?<div class="ExternalClass40210E37E708457EBD067C61C6549CD7"><div><p>​All leaks are a priority. CLTWater crews maintain more than 8,000-miles water and wastewater pipe and the timing of maintenance is based largely on prioritizing the workload. <a href="/Water/Pages/WaterLeaks.aspx">Learn more.</a></p></div></div>
​I smell something outside, what could it be? <div class="ExternalClass8598D0A1D3E34514BC1F117D9DB0EDBE"><div><p>If you see or suspect a sanitary sewer overflow (SSO) or spill, call 311 or 704-336-7600 and report a sewer emergency.​​ <a href="/Water/Pages/WastewaterOdor.aspx">Learn more</a>.</p></div></div>
How does a wastewater or sewage backup happen? <div class="ExternalClass7EC09C69FDEE4565AB2B3460939E075E"><p>Sewer lines can become blocked due to grease buildup in the pipes or debris such as rags, paper towels, and diapers that become trapped in the pipe and create a blockage. When this occurs, wastewater is stopped by the blockage and wastewater flows backwards toward the first possible outlet. Most of the time that is a manhole. However, sometimes that outlet point is a drain in a customer's home or business. <a href="/Water/Pages/WastewaterBackUpInHome.aspx">Learn more</a>.</p><p> </p></div>
What happens if there is a back-up? <div class="ExternalClassFA5B208BF046419EBD7F9046E7AE57E7"><p>Turn off any water appliances (washing machine, dish washer) that are on. If this stops the backup, contact a plumber. </p><p>If the backup continues, please call 311 or 704-336-7600. <a href="/Water/Pages/WastewaterBackUpInHome.aspx">Learn more</a>.</p></div>
What should I do if i have high water pressure?<div class="ExternalClass8992240C69404586920780C87D61BFE0"><p>If your home is in a geographically low point (near a creek) or near a water pumping facility, you may experience water pressure higher than 80 psi. Charlotte Water can’t alleviate high water pressure, but you may consider having a licensed plumber install a pressure-reducing valve at your home. <a href="/Water/Pages/WaterPressure.aspx">Learn more</a>.</p></div>