New Taps

New Connections - Residential Services​​

​​Do you have a well or septic tank and need a water meter or sewer tap connected? 

Customers who desire water or sewer service(s) for single-family residential use must complete the following:

  • Determine the availability of existing water and/or sewer infrastructure. Call 704-336-1000 and ask for Customer Service.
  • Determine the desired connection size(s) through consultation with a licensed plumber. The typical residential services are a 3/4-inch water service and a 4-inch sewer service.

Once service availability has been determined and costs have been calculated, the applicant will need to:

  1. Complete a Water/Sewer Service Application
  2. Complete a backflow questionnaire for all irrigation
  3. Submit check or money order for applicable fees
  4. Mail all three items to the New Connections office on Brookshire Blvd.

The typical installation schedule is four to six weeks upon application (if public water/sewer is already under the public street).  Once the installation is completed, the service(s) will be activated in our billing system.

A water service includes the following:

  • Connection to the public water main
  • Service line to the edge of right-of-way or 1 foot  behind meter (whichever is applicable)
  • Meter assembly and box

A sewer service includes the following:

  • Connection to the public sewer system
  • Service line to the edge of the right-of-way
  • Connection point/clean out

LPSS (Low-Pressure Sewer Service) 

  • Many areas around Lake Norman, Lake Wylie, and Mountain Island require customer-installed 2HP Grinder Pump Stations. 
  • If your connection is located in these areas, please discuss your service needs with Charlotte Water’s Customer Service Division.


  • Some water and/or sewer service installations require authorization (encroachment) from other agencies. You will be notified if an encroachment permit is required. 
  • The most common encroachment requirement involves the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) for connections on State maintained roads. 
  • Charlotte Water will provide the necessary documents for NCDOT encroachment submittal. 
  • Please allow additional time for service installation if an encroachment is required. It may take approximately six (6) weeks upon approval of the NCDOT encroachment.

Extension Policies

  • Applicants who do not have direct access to public water and/or sewer may qualify for one of our Charlotte Water Street Main Extension Programs. 
  • Extensions under the following programs must occur along existing publicly maintained streets.
  • The typical extension schedule is six to twelve months upon application.

Residential Street Main Extension Program

  • This program provides for the publicly funded extension of water and sewer mains to serve single-family residential properties. 
  • Extensions under this program are limited to 1,000 feet in length.
50/50 Extension Program

  • This program provides for shared funding of water and sewer street main extensions. 
  • Charlotte Water will fund 50% of the cost of eligible extensions when one or more customers provide the other 50%. 
  • The 50/50 Extension Program may be combined with the Residential Street Main Extension Program for customers who require extensions greater than 1,000 feet, and less than 2,000 feet in length.
Extension Program to Eliminate Public Health Hazards 
  • This program provides for complete Charlotte Water funding of residential water and sewer street main extensions for the purpose of providing access to public utilities when the private system(s) result in a health risk to the occupant and/or general public. 
  • Documentation from Mecklenburg County Health Department of a health hazard is required. 
  • Extensions under this program can be combined with the Residential Street Main Program for a maximum of 2,000 feet in length. 

Do you need service at an existing water meter turned on in your name?​​

To request water to be turned on / off or transfer your account, call 311 or 704-336-7600 and ask for "water move in / move out or to transfer a water account."  311 staff can assist from 7:00 a.m. through 7:00 p.m.