Public Service and Communications
The first contact for citizens calling the Charlotte Department of Transportation is with the Public Service and Communications Division. The division is made up of 14 employees working in four sections - Customer Service, Field Services, Special Programs and Communications and Graphics. The mission of the division is to ensure efficient mobility, a safe road environment and quality of life by educating to shape driver behavior, providing safety treatments and working collaboratively with others. The division is responsible for a number of programs and services:
- Curb Lane Management Study
- Neighborhood Traffic Management (Traffic Calming)
- Speed Humps
- School Zones
- Block Parties
- Street Name Changes
- Right-of-Way Hazard Removal
- Decorative Sign (Banner) Applications
- Off Duty Police Officer Permitting
- Park It!
- ADA Coordination
- City Council/City Manager Response Coordination
- Internal and External Communications
- Community Engagement
The Customer Service Section is responsible for handling citizen inquiries, including logging, tracking and assisting in their resolution. If necessary, the Customer Service Section will assign the inquiry to a field investigator or to a traffic engineer. The Customer Service Section is also responsible for citizen reception.
The Field Services Section is responsible for making field investigations of citizen inquiries, coordinating citizen petition processes, coordinating engineering reviews and developing work orders to resolve inquiries. The section also administers the street lighting program.
The Special Programs Section is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Park It! program. Responsibilities include contract administration, budgeting and customer service for the City's on-street parking program.
Communications & Graphics
- Executes and manages the department's day-to-day communication and marketing plan.
- Develops a positive image of the department and each of its divisions, sections and programs with City Council, the public and business community.
- Coordinates and promotes public involvement and community input for departmental programs and current and upcoming projects.
- Prepares news releases for distribution to representatives of the media.
- Designs brochures and other informative material for distribution to the public.
- Provides day-to-day support to the department's website.