The McDowell Creek service area encompasses northwest Mecklenburg County and the towns of Huntersville and Cornelius, and is comprised of both the McDowell Creek basin gravity sewer service area and surrounding communities served by a combination of gravity, pumping station and low-pressure sewer systems. The McDowell Creek collection system is comprised of approximately 272 miles of gravity sewer network and approximately 48 miles of pressure pipe including several pump station force mains and a low-pressure system that operates around Lake Norman.
The McDowell Basin Wastewater Improvements project includes two phases:
- Phase I, is a study phase, aims to identify areas for improvement in the McDowell Creek Service area and includes flow monitoring, hydraulic modeling/analysis, and condition assessment. Phase I commenced in Summer-2016 and is expected to run for 1 year.
- Phase II will include design and implementation of projects identified as high priority projects under Phase I and will follow shortly after the completion of Phase I.
Phase End Date
Design/Permitting Summer 2018-2019
Property Easement Acquisition (Real Estate) 2019
Warranty 1 year following construction completion
- Major roads like Beatties Ford Road, Bradford Hill Lane, and Gilead Road will be tunneled under.
- CLTWater will acquire easements from property owners beside creeks and other properties as needed.
- CLTWater user fees (i.e. water bill) fund these improvement projects.