Mentor Nation: Connecting Youth and Building a Legacy
This January, the Mayor's Mentoring Alliance will host a series of events in celebration of National Mentoring Month. The events are designed to help provide you with more information about mentoring, connect you to local mentoring agencies and celebrate the great work that mentors do in our community.
Visit the Mayor's Mentoring Alliance's event registration website to sign up to attend one of the following events. Registration will close on Friday, Jan. 20.
Mentoring Town Hall
Tuesday, Jan. 24
10 a.m. - noon
Foundation for the Carolinas
Hosted by Mike Collins with WFAE, the Mentoring Town Hall will feature a panel and roundtable discussions about the importance of mentoring in Charlotte. Members of the panel will include representatives from My Brother's Keeper, the City of Charlotte, local business leaders and community members.
Mentor 101 Training and Agency/Mentor Speed Networking
Wednesday, Jan. 25
9 a.m. - noon
Covenant Presbyterian Church
Ready to become a mentor but not quite sure where to start? The Mentor 101 training will provide potential mentors with effective mentoring practices, including an understanding of your role as a mentor and how to engage with your mentee. After the training, mentors will participate in a short series of conversations with local mentoring agencies to learn more about their organizations.
"A Night at the Museum" Awards Gala
Thursday, Jan. 26
6 - 8 p.m.
Harvey B. Gantt Center
Community members, mentors and mentees are invited to join us for a celebration at the Harvey B. Gantt Center. During the event, the Mayor's Mentoring Alliance will present awards to deserving mentors, mentees, mentoring agencies and organizations that support mentoring.
Awards will be given out in the following categories:
- Mentor of the Year -- Recognizes exceptional mentoring
- Mentee of the Year -- Recognizes a mentee that has made outstanding progress during the time he/she has been mentored
- Group Mentors of the Year -- Recognizes mentors who have made an impact through group mentoring
- Business Partner of the Year -- Recognizes an outstanding business partner that supports a youth program through mentoring
- Alliance Best Practices (Large Agency) -- Recognizes agencies serving 50 or more mentors/mentees that uphold national mentoring best practices
- Alliance Best Practices (Small Agency) -- Recognizes agencies serving up to 50 mentors/mentees that uphold national mentoring best practices
- Educational Leadership in Mentoring -- Recognizes both leaders and/or educational institutions for collective efforts in organizing mentoring initiatives