George E. Wilson, Jr. (1929-1931)
George Wilson was selected as Mayor of Charlotte from among the elected council members following the 1928 change to a council-manager form of government.
Wilson was a graduate of Davidson College. He was a polo player and owned a Ford dealership.
During his Administration:
- In 1929, Charlotte's Greek community establish an Orthodox Church on South Boulevard. (In 1954 the Church moved to East Boulevard in its current location.)
- The stock market crashed on October 31, 1929.
- WSOC radio went on the air.
- The first air mail plane arrived in Charlotte. More than 30,000 people turn out to see the plane land.
- The flag of the City (blue field with the seal in white) was adopted by City Council on May 6, 1929.