Health & Sanitation
Read the Health and Sanitation Ordinance (Chapter 10)
The City of Charlotte's Health and Sanitation Ordinance requires property owners to maintain their premises in a safe and sanitary condition. Violations include, but are not limited to, high weeds/grass, accumulation of trash or junk and junk motor vehicles. Learn more about common neighborhood nuisances.
To report a possible violation of the Health and Sanitation Ordinance, submit your request online, call 311 or use the MyCharlotte app.
- Inspections occur within three business days of reporting.
- Property owners will be notified if a violation is found.
- The property owner has seven days after notification to bring the property into compliance.
- Failure to correct violations could result in any of the following actions: issuance of a citation, work being done by a contractor or appearance in Environmental Court.
- If contracted, the owner will receive an invoice for the work performed in addition to administrative and investigative fees. Failure to pay the invoice could result in a lien against the property.