In 1996 the Charlotte City Council and the Mecklenburg County Commissioners found that the excessive false alarms unduly burden the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department and waste limited police resources. They adopted the Alarm Ordinance to establish reasonable expectations of alarm users and to ensure that alarm users are held responsible for their use of alarm systems.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department receives over 50,000 requests each year for police response to alarm calls, of those responses, 98% are determined false. The primary goal of the False Alarm Reduction Unit is to reduce the number of false alarms that the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department responds to, thus allowing the officers to concentrate on other areas of crime prevention and law enforcement. The False Alarm Reduction Unit maintains a database of alarm permits, tracks registrations, educates employees and citizens, holds monthly advisory meetings with alarm companies, and handles all false alarm appeals as outlined in the appeal process.
CMPD False Alarm Reduction Unit
601 E. Trade St. Charlotte, NC 28202
Office: 704.432.0431 | Fax: 704.336.5712Online Alarm Application Assistance
To apply for an alarm permit
Alarm Permit Application
To renew / update an alarm permit, pay a fine, or otherwise service your account, call 877-893-5269 to get a password to access the website.
If you have an electronic burglar alarm system installed within the city limits of Charlotte or the unincorporated areas of Mecklenburg County, it must be registered. Auto, Fire, and Medical alarm systems are excluded. A permit is valid for 12 months from the date of issuance.
Things you should know about your permit
- Use the above links to apply or renew a permit online.
If you choose, you may
print out a paper copy and submit it by mail or fax.
- An alarm permit may take up to 10 business days to process.
- An alarm permit will be issued to the address you specified. It is non-transferable. Upon receipt of the permit number, whether electronically or by mail, it is your responsibility to provide this number to your alarm company. The police cannot respond to an alarm at your address unless the alarm company has this number when calling to request police dispatch.
If you have received an invoice from the Charlotte Alarm Management Services and wish to pay the balance, please choose one of the three payment options.
Paying Fines Online [
- Be sure to have your permit number and credit card available.
- To access your account online you will need your account number and password, if you need assistance with your account/permit number or password, please call 877-893-5269 Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m., excluding federal holidays.
- To pay online follow these steps:
- Go to "Registered Alarm Users" and sign in.
- Select "Pay by Credit Card" from the menu on the left.
- Select the invoice(s) you wish to pay. Invoice(s)
MUST be paid in full.
- Enter your credit card information and then click "Submit".
Paying by check (no cash)
- Make your check payable to the
Charlotte Alarm Management Service
Mail it to:
Charlotte Alarm Management Services
PO Box 602486 Charlotte, NC 28260-2486.
ATTENTION: Please allow up to three (3) business days to process all payments received.
For payment assistance, call 1-877-893-5269