CMPD Explorer Post New Members Meeting
Monday, August 29, 2016 at 7:00p.m. to 8:30p.m.
Charlotte Police & Fire Training Academy
1770 Shopton Road Charlotte, NC 28217
Exploring is a worksite-based program in which young adults learn about particular careers in which they have an interest. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department sponsors two Exploring Posts that provide teens with the opportunities to learn about the law enforcement profession, and make informed decisions about possible future careers.
The Police Exploring program introduces students to the world of law enforcement at the local, state, and national levels. Explorers are trained in several aspects of police work and have the opportunities to compete with other posts in state, region, and national conferences. We also offer students the opportunity to participate in the Ride-Along Program, which allows the Explorers to ride in the patrol car with an experienced officer on the job. Two academies are offered every year by our department, and by the North Carolina Association of Law Enforcement Explorers (NCALEEA) as opportunities for Explorers to experience abbreviated versions of an actual police academy.
The CMPD Explorer Post operates year round, beginning with the start of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School System’s Calendar with a New Members meeting and open enrollment period. The CMPD Exploring Posts provide a comprehensive, law enforcement focused program consisting of training, competition, community service, and practical experience. If you attend a Charlotte-Mecklenburg School you are eligible to receive a half unit elective credit for participating in the Explorer Program.
The requirements for eligibility for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Explorers are as follows:
- Must be 14-20 years of age (Must have completed 8th grade).
- New Explorers entering the program for the first time may be no older than 18 years old at the time of their first meeting.
- Must have no serious criminal history.
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA in school.
- Obtain a recommendation from your School Resource Officer (Have a good school record with attendance and behavior).
- Receive parental or legal guardian approval.
- Complete a three-meeting probationary period before full membership is granted.
- Complete and submit all of the application documents.
If you are interested in applying to the CMPD Explorer Post please fill out the 4 forms below and bring them to the
New Member Meeting
Monday, September 29, 2016 at 7:00pm
. There is also a $58.00 registration fee for new members that will cover the rest of 2015 and all of 2016. Checks can be made out to CMPD Explorer Post.
Open application phases will be from Monday, August 1, 2016 to Monday, September 5, 2016.
The CMPD Police Explorers meet on the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month at the Police Training Academy located at 1770 Shopton Rd. The meetings last from 7:00pm to 9:00pm.Events and Trips:
- NCALEEA Academy for Law Enforcement Explorers (NC Justice Academy-Salemburg)
- NCALEEA Survival Weekend (BSA-Camp Grimes)
- Exploring Ski Trip
CMPD Explorers Christmas Project
- Exploring After Dark
Additional information regarding
Law Enforcement Explorer Programs.
For further information or questions please contact:
Community Services and Youth Division
601 East Trade Street
Charlotte, NC 28202