Minimum Standards for Employment
Applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications to be considered for employment:
- Have a high school diploma or GED, but we encourage applicants to have at least an Associate Degree. A high school correspondence diploma is not accepted by the state of North Carolina, you must complete the high school equivalency.
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Have or be able to obtain a North Carolina
OR South Carolina Driver's License (dependent on your residence)
AND have a minimum of 2 years driving experience, using a
VALID driver's license.
- Have not committed or been convicted of any felony or serious misdemeanors.
- Have not been convicted of Driving While Impaired during the preceding five years.
- Have an Honorable Military Discharge, General Discharges are evaluated on a case by case basis.
- Pass an entry level written examination.
- Pass an entry level physical ability test.
- Pass an extensive background investigation including psychological examination, polygraph examination, etc.
- Pass a pre-employment Medical Examination and Drug Screening Test.
- Certain past drug use will result in disqualification. Marijuana usage in the last 12 months or usage of Schedule I drugs and other drugs in the past 10 years.
- Must be able to successfully pass City of Charlotte Color Vision Standards.
- Must have minimum corrected visual acuity of 20/30 binocularly.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department requires that all sworn police officers will:
- Reside in North Carolina
or South Carolina
- Within a 45 mile radius of Police Headquarters (601 E. Trade)
While they are employed with the CMPD,
all sworn employees
must continue to abide by this rule.
Please use this link to help you determine if your residence is within the bounds the CMPD allows:
45 Mile Radius Map
Thinking of Joining Our Department?
Compare Charlotte’s Cost of Living With Other Municipalities.
Use the Cost of Living Wizard to calculate your estimate.Tattoo Policy:
Tattoos or brands cannot be visible on the head, face, chest or neck. As per CMPD Policy, "Visible tattoos cannot be more than 2.5 inches in length or 1 inch in width and number more than one per limb, including the hand." Any visible tattoo (i.e. "sleeves"), must be covered by a uniform shirt or approved tattoo "jacket".